Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how to hide my shame from the quilt police (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-hide-my-shame-quilt-police-t144581.html)

blueangel 08-12-2011 07:51 AM

I agree, put another back on it.

ghostrider 08-12-2011 08:10 AM

Lyric Kinard has several tutorials on mounting and framing art quilts. http://www.lyrickinard.com/tutorials.html
Her work is much smaller than yours, but there's no reason the same process wouldn't work for you. I've used several of them and they look great.

Whether to skip the show or replace the back would depend on the show rules, but the piece would certainly be worth mounting for your own enjoyment. Sounds like the front came out beautifully. Welcome from an ex-Michigander. ;)

Tartan 08-12-2011 08:15 AM

Some people that do alot of thread painting on quilts, put the top on the batt and stitch all the details. They put the back on later and just outline stitch the main designs. You don't even have to be careful of how far the quilting on the back is because the batting is anchored well with the thread painting. I think you could put a false back on your quilt, outline quilt the main parts to the front and put the binding on.

sewmuchmore 08-12-2011 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
You can still use the quilt and enter it in a non judged show. Lots of guilds hold them.

But also use this quilt as a valuable lesson to find out what went wrong on the back and to check your back on the next one. Birds nests are normally caused by not bringing your bobbin thread to the top and holding it when you first start quilting.

Pointy things on the back that are nice rounded circles on the front sound like eyelashing to me, which means you have some tension issues and are probably going a bit too fast. So use these valuable lessons to make your next art quilt the masterpiece you know you are capable of doing that looks wonderful on the front AND the back. ;-)

feline fanatic wow, thank you for the valuable infromation. I love it when you guys share your knowledge with us. I know now what to look for . :thumbup:

QuiltnLady1 08-12-2011 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
Don't you know the "quilt police" have X-Ray eyes.
... It didn't qualify because the rules indicated that all the quiting should have showed on the back. So read the rules. However, it is done and accepted.

This happened at a quilt show of ours -- someone quilted the top and batting only with the intricate quilting, then added a back and did STID so the next show had the rule that ALL quilting had to show on the back.

Cherylsea 08-12-2011 09:23 AM

If you want to frame it - you could get stretchers as for painting canvas, cover them with a thin layer of batting, stretch and staple. The idea of a second back is good too.

leatheflea 08-12-2011 09:23 AM

I think I would cover the back just in case the police show up. But if you dont have much nosey company, hang it and forget it!

Pat M. 08-12-2011 10:25 AM

I once had the same problem, so I put another back over the messy one. Then I outlined quilted around the design area. Quilt police didn't even notice it. Final step, binding it.

fabric_fancy 08-12-2011 10:37 AM

i'd do a new backing to cover up the stitch work on the back.

this is more common then you know with art quilts that will be in shows or that are going to be sold.

auntpiggylpn 08-12-2011 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by dottiej
THANK YOU FOR REPLY...
Its about 36" by 38"..Do you know if anyone on this board has ever framed a quilt..I did a search on hiding the back and found nothing...I am new to this board it is great..Im from Michigan..Dottiej

I personally have not framed a quilt but my MIL did a wall hanging that I made for her, about the same dimensions as yours. Of course, she didn't do it herself. She took it to Michaels to have it done.