Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Important is Your Stash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-important-your-stash-t139641.html)

hopetoquilt 07-23-2011 03:06 PM

Stash? What stash? I buy for each project as I go. I get nervous when I have too much stuff and left over pieces and I make scrap quilts to use it all.

I did buy a few different fabrics that I absolutely adore and am still trying to figure out what to do with.

I must confess that I seem to have a stash of quilting books that I page through constantly. I will never make all the quilts in the books but I love to look at the pix probably as much as others love to look through their fabrics.

kuntryquilter 07-24-2011 03:22 AM

I would be ecstatic if my husband wanted to use some of my stash to make a quilt. No I would probably faint, since he don't even know how to thread a needle.

Originally Posted by LisaGibbs
My dh told me the other day he wanted to make a quilt of his own design. So while he is "designing" in his head I asked him if he wanted to look at fabrics to get for his quilt. he said, "I just thought I would use some of that fabric you have." I stared at him in total disbelief and asked him if he had lost his ever living mind. I would prefer to share my toothbrush with him than have him touch my stash.

Lavada 07-24-2011 03:29 AM

MY SON CALLS ME A FABRIC HOARDER BUT ITS MINE AND I CAN CUT AND PIECE ANYTIME HAVE TO GO OUT AND BUY BATTING THO

mar32428 07-24-2011 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
Couldn't sew without it :)

Totally agree. It is the heart of my love......sewing.

Edie 07-24-2011 03:36 AM

I used to be a fat quarter stasher, but now I stash fabrics with more yardage. Like it has been said before, with gas at the price it is, the fabric at the price it is inching up at, not being able to get out as much as I would like (just to look and feel the fabric) or the distance to get to the fabric shops now, I have been watching very carefully for fabrics BTY, so in the last week, I was able to get 20 yards of fabric for $1.00 yard. I won't use it today or tomorrow, but at least I know I have my own little fabric shop I can go to and when I run into a problem with a quilt I am working on, I can always go to "my" little shop and look and feel. Is that a feeling of security or what????? Importance of stash? Yes, very important, but would be totally worthless without thems that I want to make quilts for. And at the rate I am going, slow but sure, I want to make one for everyone! Enjoy the day! Edie

katier825 07-24-2011 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by LisaGibbs
My dh told me the other day he wanted to make a quilt of his own design. So while he is "designing" in his head I asked him if he wanted to look at fabrics to get for his quilt. he said, "I just thought I would use some of that fabric you have." I stared at him in total disbelief and asked him if he had lost his ever living mind. I would prefer to share my toothbrush with him than have him touch my stash.

LOL!!! I can relate to that!

quilt3311 07-24-2011 03:45 AM

Very important---I shop my stash before I start any project. If I don't have the exact color, I overdye some fabric and use that. It is fun to see what happens when you over dye a fabric. I also use a lot of white cotton as I paint it, dye it, print on it etc etc.

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 07-24-2011 03:48 AM

Having some is important when i want to make a small project but I find everytime I want to make a quilt I never have what I need anyway. I'm going to make more scrap quilts to try and use some up.

Jo Mama 07-24-2011 03:54 AM

It's very important. I have two levels of stash. There is stash number 1 in bins in garage. It's inventoried and I know where to get fabric when I need it. Then there is stash number 2 which is in my sewing room. I arrange it just so and look at it a lot and just admire it. Sounds sick huh?

damaquilts 07-24-2011 03:56 AM

Less so now since my tastes have changes so much. I am slowly trying to use up my stash but its difficult because I never seem to have the fabrics I need. I am just finishing up my UFO's now and not trying to make anything new. When my stash is gone I probably won't have one anymore. Just get what I need when I need it.