Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Important is Your Stash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-important-your-stash-t139641.html)

olebat 07-24-2011 05:01 AM

On those occasions when I want to make something special, I start in a store by selecting a focus fabric suitable for the occasion. Then, I can't find all of the fabrics necessary to tie the project together. I carry my swatch books around when I go shopping, so I look at what's in the buggy, open the books, and can usually find what I need from my book, which reflects my stash. When the weather or budget is not conducive to shopping, I can quilt from my stash with no problem.

plainpat 07-24-2011 05:02 AM

I'm making a scrappy quilt from stash right now.My stash gets used,cause I do a lot of scrappy.

GlitzyMe 07-24-2011 05:05 AM

Hmmmm.......my stash keeps me quilting and sewing. Between the disaster that America calls it's economy which forced retirement for hubby and the fact that I don't buy anything unless it's on sale or I have a coupon the stash is almost like gold.

katsewnsew 07-24-2011 05:06 AM

It is my Sanity! It is my Life!!!

lsoan1959 07-24-2011 05:10 AM

LOL

jeanneb52 07-24-2011 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by babyquiltlady
In your world of quilting, how important is your stash?

How important are my kidneys? Gotta have them.

MargeD 07-24-2011 05:20 AM

My stash is extremely important to me. Sometimes I just like to go through a bin, pull the fabric out, make my choices and put it back. When we downsized from a 3-bedroom house to a 2 bedroom apt. my DH wanted me to get rid of 90% of my stash. I stood firm, and I gave away almost half of my stash to a dear quilting friend who would pass on to another friend who makes charity quilts for hospitals, so I know it will go to a good home. As for the rest, I brought it with me and just finished my family reunion quilt from my stash, plus fabric they send. I also just finished 2 baby quilts tops from my stash. It makes me feel good that I can "shop" in my apt. and come up with a quilt. It's about time for a trip to the fabric store, just to look, and fill in the gaps of my stash.

grammysharon 07-24-2011 05:42 AM

Very important as it inspires me to get sewing. I am buying bigger pieces now, not less than a yard (usually 2) when I make a purchase. With the high cost of fabric now I am not buying as many new fabrics as before since I have run out of room and must stack new purchases on the floor.

Originally Posted by babyquiltlady
In your world of quilting, how important is your stash?

:lol:

runninL8 07-24-2011 05:45 AM

My stash is important to me - I use from it regularly and seem to add more than I take. I read an article about being too frugal with money that said, "The Brink's truck will not be following the hearse to the cemetery". I think the same holds true for the "Fabric Stash Truck". Let's appreciate what we have, use it, and enjoy making beautiful quilts!

clsurz 07-24-2011 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
Rarely do I have a quilt in mind when I purchase fabric. I would say my stash is moderate.

Same here when I buy fabric. I buy it because I like it and will figure a way to use it later on.