Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how many hours a day (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-hours-day-t144388.html)

luvTooQuilt 08-11-2011 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
I spend 1- 7 hours a day sewing, quilting, crafting

Ditto- On a good day when no one is bothering me for something I can sew all day!!!

ckcowl 08-11-2011 12:57 PM

some days an hour- some days many hours- some days not at all (but those are few and far between)
i take hand work or prep work with me to work and work on stuff during breaks-
when home i try to divide my time between sewing my own projects- and quilting- some times i get home from work and sew until i fall into bed---5 or 6 hours-
other times i come home and sit here on this dog=gone computer...but i hand stitched a binding at work today- so ...

Montana Quilter 08-11-2011 02:03 PM

I work 12 hour shifts-usually 4 per week. At the end of the day I crawl home and get my jammies on and that is it for the day. On my days off i sew 2-3 hours a day, and if I can, i sew all day!! My idea of heaven!

Quilt Mom 08-11-2011 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
Hours per DAY...*sigh*...I wish.

It looks from your avatar that you have someone else taking up your time!! What a cutie!

Myself, right now, i spend no time quilting daily. We just finished with my daughter's wedding. I made her dress, from her design, and dealt with the details of the wedding preparation for 6 months. She wanted to do it all herself (meaning 'us').

ube quilting 08-11-2011 02:17 PM

I mandate in my family that one hour a day is mine and you can get alot done in one hour. Hubby can watch kids or they can go to bed and you get your hour. I know how busy women are today. I work 40 hrs and drive 10 and take care of my home, family and pets. I am not superwoman. (She has a better figure) It's tuff. You have to be organized to a point but not to much.
During the week, one night I will pick some fabric and pattern. Another night I will cut some but not all fabric. I save the weekends for most of my sewing. I do not concern myself with dust bunnies or tall grass!
peace

Jennifer22206 08-11-2011 02:23 PM

umm, isn't it more like hours per week? When I'm working (I teach) I have my 35-40 hour work week, plus all the time spent grading papers, adding into the gradebook, lesson planning, making new worksheets - it's probably about 65-70 hours a week. <- Yep, I do give LOTS of homework, projects and stuff to be graded! Then I get home, and have to clean up, take care of DD who's 2, cook for DH, take a shower and hopefully get at least 2 hours of sleep, before everything starts again.

So, I guess: in the summer, I can get 5-10 hours a week, and in winter I get maybe 2-3 hours if I'm really lucky. :)

klc 08-11-2011 02:55 PM

I have all the time I want to do whatever. Some days I'm in my sewing room all day, other days I plan & think and waste my time, then other days I'm actually busy doing other things. So I forgot . . . what was the question?

Eri 08-11-2011 03:10 PM

I quilt in chunks--some weeks I'll quilt for several days straight 10+ hours a day, hopping between projects that catch my fancy and ignoring the entire rest of my life.

...Then I remember that I have actual work to do in order to pay the bills, and wander into my office for a month and despite looking longingly at my design board and the piles of squares my cats are furring up, I try to exercise some self-control. :)

I always get this idea that maybe I can set up a schedule and quilt for an hour a day while working on a single project... sometimes I even set the kitchen timer for an hour--but then it goes off and I think, "I'll just finish pressing this fabric." And then I finish the fabric and think, "If I leave it out on the table, the cats will sit on it; if I fold it, I'll have to press it again... I'll just cut it up." And that leads to the thought, "Well, I don't want to just leave the cut pieces, what if they get lost in my chaos? I'll just sew them together..." And suddenly it's 3:00 a.m. and it's back into another week of quilting 10 hours a day!

It's always cause for celebration when I manage to finally get the last stitch sewn in the binding of one of my UFOs... it means I can work again! :P

gigi10 08-11-2011 05:26 PM

I am sorta like Vat.....retired. I come in here in the am and leave about supper time. Then I do hand work while watching tv with DH (usually he is asleep in his chair). I keep a hand project going also

BellaBoo 08-11-2011 05:31 PM

Some days I sew 12 hours and some days just a few minutes. It's according to how I feel when I wake up and what I want to do for the day. Sometimes I go on all day car trips by myself to out of the way fabric shops. I count that as a quilting day!