Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many machines do you own? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-machines-do-you-own-t87479.html)

moonwolf47 01-05-2011 08:31 PM

I have 5 sewing machines. It's good to have a backup.

Airwick156 01-05-2011 08:37 PM

I would love to see a picture of your handcranked sewing machine. Man that would be so cool to have. I already take some quilting projects camping with me when we go...but Mannnnnn a handcranked sewing machine camping would be the Icing on ANYONES CAKE. lol

Terrippy 01-05-2011 08:38 PM

Where do you all keep all these machines, are they stored or set up to use? Do you use all of them on a regular basis? If it is a collection how do you display them? Just curious. I have recently inherited a FW and another Singer, probably from the 1960's, and I bought a singer 185J at a junk shop. I love them all but not sure where and what to do with multiple machines!

Airwick156 01-05-2011 08:45 PM

I just have one lonely brother sewing machine that I got at Walmart for $139 back in 2006. Its still hanging on although it is really getting tempermental. Hopefully sometime this year, I will be able to get a new one. One with a top loading bobbin....NOW THAT is important...but also one with a threader...man I love my threader more then anything.

fontmomma 01-05-2011 10:00 PM

I have 3 sergers-(my sister's Bernette, one made in China ( looper broke--somehow it got fixed) and a Singer. A singer industrial sewing machine, one that sews and embroidery and one that I found in the trash--a EuroPro. Had it cleaned and fixed and works perfectly now Don't have much more room and I might-have to sleep outside if I bring another home-I
guess I could hide it under my material stash.

doowopddbop 01-06-2011 04:35 AM

Hmm, let's see:
1) Old black Pfaff received for graduation. Still sews great.
2) Fleetwood in cabinet, thrift store $35, my daughters' favorite machine.
3) Bernina 830, inherited from mother when she passed away
4) Little black Featherweight, $40 at a yard sale
5) Little red repainted Featherweight, won in raffle, bought 6 tickets for $5 (so cute!)
6) Thrift store find for $5 (not sure of the brand), lent to niece.
7) Kenmore Tri-Span 88 in cabinet, thrift store $40
8) Singer Touch & Sew in cabinet, thrift store $25
9) Inherited from renter (not sure of the brand), lent to another niece.
10) An old 3-spool serger $300 about 20 years ago.
11) Something in another cabinet in the garage, but doesn't really work, I bought it for the cabinet...
12) A Treadle, being repaired and conditioned at the moment. $75 at a thrift store.
12) Big Bertha, my Gammill Optimum Plus longarm machine.

So, 12. I had lost track. I knew there were at least enough for my triplet daughters to each own one when they leave home. Someday. Pus, I like the old mechanical machines, and the price was right. Maybe it's time to think about something a little more advanced, since I have to borrow the county 4-H sewing machine if I ever have to do a blanket stitch...

Meanwhile, we have three of the machines set up in the sewing room for use at all times. I guess I could think about selling some of them now. Probably not the Featherweights :)

krisgray 01-06-2011 07:31 AM

I have 4 - 3 Vikings (250, 230, 300) and a FW. All were given to me. Now, that said - my mother has over 40 machines, from treadles and FWs to sergers to Vikings like the SE (and one 301 sitting in my living room waiting for pick-up -- see my blog post http://farmgirltransplant.blogspot.c...err-hobby.html ). Guess who gave me the Vikings?

Debra from Ks. 01-06-2011 07:50 AM

I have two singer feather weights that I had bought at a garage sale for $50. Elna 6005, Elna exquisite.
Would like to get me a treadle.

adrianlee 01-06-2011 09:17 AM

I did have 4 machines but in November I gave my old Pfaff (vintage 1940's) to my son. He knows how to sew and I know he will take good care of this machine.

janie3954 01-06-2011 10:10 AM

I have a Viking quilter, a Bernina 730, a Singer Futura 200 and a 250, a Singer XL6000, and I have a White treddle, that works but I just use a decoration. I use the Viking the Bernina, and the Singer 250 and XL6000 at home. The Futura 200 is my traveling buddy, and is always ready to go. My favorite machine is my Singer XL6000, it is a shame tht the don't make it anymore.