Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many Pincushions does it take... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-pincushions-does-take-t53424.html)

Helen Bankert 07-10-2010 06:50 AM

I have 35 different pin cushions. The one that I have at my sewing machine is on a glass peticle and woven with wool in four differnet colours. The wool part is a circle. It is very old and came from my husbands family who came to Canada in 1841.

katsewnsew 07-10-2010 07:09 AM

I have about 7 but my favorite is a magnetic bowl or tray that I bought at an auto parts store. It is about 7 inches in diameter and magnetic. Mechanincs use it to hold nuts and bolts when they are working on cars. I love it!! Only about $6.00. This one sits on my cutting table. The rest are scattered all over the room, some bought, some made, some magnetic, some soft. They are everywhere here.

adrianlee 07-10-2010 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
I taped a rectangular manicure sponge to my machine. I saw a very nice pattern for a pincushion on a Martha Stewart site. This was a quick copy. It is very useful. Now I need to put a magnet on a long stick for the pins that still hit the floor!

This works great, the magnet on a long stick. Go to an auto parts store, they have magnet sticks for picking up screws/bolts that fall in hard to reach places. Hubby got me one and it works great, I keep it in the sewing basket.

Pincushions, I keep one in the living room by my chair, there is one just for the sewing machine needles for the different size needles and 3 other pincushions. there are also 3 tins of pins and one of the tins is for blocking crochet snowflakes I make.

Cookie64 07-10-2010 07:49 AM

I have lots of pin cushion, I also make them to sell. I put sheeps wool in mine to keep your pins sharp.

Cookie

tall2 07-10-2010 08:11 AM

If any of u ladies use a computer "sewing maching" leave the magnet pin cusions alone, they can damage ur memory of the machine.........So i was told by a dealer, i have one such machine which sits on a shelf in prefrences I use my old stand by Janome....( no electronics) This weekend started with me taking it apart to do some hunting. Yep i found what I was looking for, then more....straight pin managled in the bobbin- one of my nice silk pins 2 .
I use one and move it from place to place. Silk pins on one side. the others on the other sides. I do use a mangetic one for saftey pins works great no need to hunt for them anymore.

thequilterslink 07-10-2010 08:17 AM

i have big ones, little ones, magnetic ones, wrist ones, and a cupboard of old ones. I can still never find a pin fast when i want one

Annz 07-10-2010 08:18 AM

Four, Two magnetic just in case. Don't want anyone stepping on a lose pin on the floor. :-P

Gwyn 07-10-2010 08:28 AM

I collect pin cushions. There are 30 of them on my windowsill. I use about 7 with one for needles only, 2 by my sewing machine, 1 by the iron, 1 by the cutting mat, 1 with very thin flexible pins for hand basting, 1 with regular sewing pins for pinning patterns onto fabric. I like my pins and needles seperated so I don't poke my finger when using pins, and the needles pincushion has a bottom made of a tuna can lid so the needles don't poke in too far and get lost.

Aretta 07-10-2010 08:59 AM

I HAVE 3 AROUND THE ROOM.I KEEP KNOCKING THE ONE BY THE MACHINE OFF SO I AM GOING TO MAKE A FLAT ONE,THAT FITS UNDER THE MACHINE ,SO THAT CANT HAPPEN ANY MORE.
ARETTA

martyr 07-10-2010 09:09 AM

OMG!!! I have 7, and I haven't quilted much yet! I have one for old fancy pins, 1 for long bead pins, 1 for pearl pins used to make snowflakes, 1 for sewing machine needles, 1 for regular pins by the machine, 1 by the cutting board, and lastly one tiny one for hand sewing needles. And, I'm thnking of making a new one for big eyed craft needles! LOL