Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many of you quilt your own quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-you-quilt-your-own-quilts-t186672.html)

garysgal 04-20-2012 04:51 PM

I do my own on a Handi quilter frame and a Juki mid-arm. When I needed to have my first quilt done, I was too embarrassed to send it to anyone! Now I like doing my own. If there is a mistake, it's mine and I can't blame anyone!

stampinteresa 04-20-2012 05:33 PM

I have only tacked mine over the years. But want to learn to quilt mine. Many of my Aunts still hand quilt so I am hoping its in the gene pool. hahaha Teresa

Drue 04-20-2012 06:03 PM

I use my embroidery machine to quilt my quilts at this point. I have the quilter's kit with my machine but just haven't gotten up the spunk to do this yet, but I'm getting closer to being there...LOL,LOl This is obviously a process for me and I'm getting there little by little. If the quit is king sized tho I send it off.
I did purchase a lesson from Craftsy before Chrismas on FMQ and will eventually do it when I can find a day when I can sit down and concentrat on doing it. hope that day is SOON!

liking quilting 04-20-2012 06:22 PM

I have only made 3 quilts (so far), and I decided to jump all the way in right from the start. I used quilting walking foot to do stitch in the ditch on the first one. On the borders I used a different foot and a computerized decorative stitch. Then I took a craftsy quilting class and started practicing fmq and did that on the 2nd & 3rd quilt. Does it look like a novice quilted them? Yes, but you have to look for mistakes to see them. If you look at the quilts as a whole from a little ways back, I think they turned out pretty good. Since I'm new to all of this, I told myself the mistakes are part of learning. 1/4" seams, piecing errors, trouble getting sandwich all smoothed out, and quilting mistakes are a part of the learning process. I do take great pride in being able to say I did the whole quilt myself from start to finish! But, to everyone who sends them out, more power you; do what's best for you and makes you happy with the end result!

Lynnie25 04-20-2012 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Hinterland (Post 5156875)
I do all my own quilting - that's why I make tops. Most of mine are hand quilted, with a few done by machine.

Janet

I also do all my own quilting - some by machine, more by hand - that is why I have over 50 quilt tops to quilt :(

I have found it is far too expensive to send out quilts for LAQ and I like to be in control of the quilt design and how much quilting is done on the quilt. If I sent a double bed quilt to a LAQ, it would probably cost me around $200-$250and the quilt top might not even have $50 worth of fabric in it to start with.

hockeymom444 04-20-2012 07:19 PM

I think that quilting my own tops is my favorite part of the whole quilting process! I just love it and hope to one day have my own long arm to make it even more fun!!

sylviak 04-20-2012 07:39 PM

I've always done all of it from start to finish. My first two (years apart!) were tied. Then I learned to FMQ and did them on my domestic machine. I kept looking at the long arms longingly and one year we got quite a bit back on our taxes and DH said if I wanted one, now was the time! I was able to buy a Voyager 17 with a stitch regulator and a Hinterberg Stretch frame! I've gotten pretty fair at it and they look better all the time. I occasionally do quilting for others, but I'm not really in business. I'm retired now, and want to keep it a hobby I enjoy.

CanoePam 04-20-2012 07:51 PM

I have quilted all of mine myself. I did the first ones on my domestic, but I have a sweet 16 sit down now which makes it much easier. I just like the idea of doing all the work myself.

Pam

deedum 04-20-2012 08:35 PM

I have done all my own quilts and always will :) as long as I quilt. Baby size to full, and working on a huge king now. I am a total free spirit and like the freedom of doing what I want when I want on my quilts. I use an old Singer 15 to quilt on, works perfect. No desire here to ever have a long arm. I am quite content.

Pickles 04-20-2012 09:02 PM

I also do my own with my sewing machine.