Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much fabric do you buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-fabric-do-you-buy-t170462.html)

deemail 11-30-2011 06:29 PM

I buy 3 yards when i don't have a project...if knit, it will make 2 prs of pants, 2 skirts, 1 skirt and 1 top or 1 pant and top, 1 jacket or 1 bog coat (my fave), if quilting cotton, it will make queen size borders without a seam (with corner blocks) or a background fabric for any size quilt.

If on sale for a really good price, then i buy 6 yards and cut borders to put away (up to 6 inches x 4 strips leaves 20 inches x 6 yards for the stash) I cut the borders first so that i know they won't get shortened while working on something else. i have a box with pre-cut borders in 2s, 3s, 4s, and 6s... it's not that i don't use borders in other widths, but i know these work with a lot of my normal block preferences.

SherryW 11-30-2011 06:33 PM

Two to 3 yards.

jaciqltznok 11-30-2011 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by susieqwva (Post 4737769)
Like it . . . . 1 yard
LOVE it . . . . 3 yards
REALLY, REALLY love it . . . . 6 yards!!!!

I vote for this one!!! If it is great background fabric, like a white on white I get no less than 4 yards..if it is really cheap and would be good for backing then it is 8-10 yards.

Rose L 11-30-2011 07:15 PM

If I bought every fabric that I just "liked", I would need at least one more house to store it all in, lol! I rarely buy fabric on a whim though. I have a great deal of self restraint in that way. If were to do that though I would not buy more than three yards because, backings excluded, I've rarely seen any pattern that calls for more than three yards of any one fabric and I am willing to piece in a different fabric in a similar color to make what I have stretch. Two and three color quilts being the exception of course. I make bed quilts exclusively. If I mostly made runners and wall hangings or other smaller pieces I would probably limit myself to 1/2 or 1 yard. Also, I'd never spend more than $6.00 on any one yard of fabric. Even though I'm very thrifty with my purchases, I have enough scraps to last me at least 10 years so I am still buying too much when I do buy. My latter years are going to be spent making scrap quilts, I am sure!!

Shelbie 11-30-2011 07:35 PM

[ Originally Posted by susieqwva
Like it . . . . 1 yard
LOVE it . . . . 3 yards
REALLY, REALLY love it . . . . 6 yards!!!!

This would be my idea too. The only exception is if it is to be used as background or backing or if it is really on sale ($2 or $3 a metre) and then I might buy the whole bolt!

tellabella 11-30-2011 07:38 PM

If I shouldn't be buying then I buy 1 -2 yards
If it might be for a backing I may buy 4plus
If it is a really beautiful neutral, I may buy the bolt

patchsamkim 11-30-2011 08:43 PM

I love scrap quilts, so mostly buy 1/2 yards pieces....but if I think I will want it for a sashing, background or borders, will usually buy 2-3 yards.

QuiltE 11-30-2011 09:39 PM

Never enough!!!
You can count that whatever you buy ... you'll wish you had more and feel limited when you go to use it!! :)

quilterella 12-01-2011 01:09 AM

Good question. I used to buy 1yd increments and became frustrated when deciding to use it because ultimately I didn't have enough. My new rule of thumb is:
If I like: 3-5yds
If I love it: 5-10yds
If it is a good blender: the bolt
I always buy white, beige and black by the bolt.

Annya 12-01-2011 01:30 AM

I do the same but I buy at least 3 meters or 5 metres if I love it and want enough for a full size quilt. Money is another thing I need as well.