Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much fabric do you buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-fabric-do-you-buy-t170462.html)

Butterflyblue 12-01-2011 06:33 AM

It depends - on what type of fabric it is, on how much spare money I happen to have, on what the price is. Usually, not more than a yard of a focal-type fabric or novelty print. I make a lot of small quilts, and I'm still really figuring out what it is I like (too many times I've ended up with fabrics that I later hate). If I love it but it's a novelty print that has very limited uses, I'll just get a fat quarter. If it is something like the very nice quality, cute fabric with princesses that I know my daughter will love, and the price is $3 a yard, I'll get three yards. But I think that will end up being several small things - apron, a cute top, maybe a pillowcase. But usually, I don't get that much without a project in mind.

I do a lot of small quilts and scrappies, though, so I don't feel like I usually NEED yards and yards of any one fabric. If I found a really good dark blue background-type fabric on sale, though, I'd buy like ten yards if I had the money, because I know I'd use it, but I never find anything like that.

nannyrick 12-01-2011 07:13 AM

Really love the idea of precutting borders. I,m going to start doing this.
Thanks for the tip.

valleyquiltermo 12-01-2011 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by susieqwva (Post 4737769)
Like it . . . . 1 yard
LOVE it . . . . 3 yards
REALLY, REALLY love it . . . . 6 yards!!!!

Ditto but mostly 3 yards for tonals and solids, 1 yard only if I love it and thats all they have, lol lol

Mad Mimm 12-01-2011 07:21 AM

I usually go for at least two yards, more if I can afford it.

aronel 12-01-2011 07:59 AM

If I like a fabric, I will buy 5 yards.

crafterrn1 12-01-2011 08:26 AM

As a designer I buy 2 yards of what I like. I can make a lap quilt with 2 yards. I have a favorite quilt shop and she asks 2 yards of everything? I sometimes buy exactly what I need for a project to test my pattern amounts. I am trying to reorganize the fabric as we speak. I am only doing the quilt studio now. Then the closet and scraps. A Huge Project!

cmw0829 12-01-2011 09:06 AM

If my DH is with me - 1 to 1 1/4 yards. If he's not with me - 2 yards.

I think I need to up my yardage. :)

CajunQuilter2 12-01-2011 09:24 AM

I used to buy just 1 yrd but now I have started buying 2 yards just to be on the safe side as a few times I have fell short of what I wanted to do with it and not always being able to find it again.

Caroline S 12-01-2011 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by susieqwva (Post 4737769)
Like it . . . . 1 yard
LOVE it . . . . 3 yards
REALLY, REALLY love it . . . . 6 yards!!!!

Same here!

Sheila_H 12-01-2011 10:22 AM

I always buy at least 2 yards if I really love the price and fabric 3 yards think of most quilt patterns you need at least that and then some if you plan to use it as background or a border. Our LQS often puts end of bolts on sale and I generally come home with 2 or 3 bolt ends I can use those for placemats, and smaller projects.