Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much fabric do you buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-fabric-do-you-buy-t170462.html)

Jo M 12-01-2011 10:39 AM

Yeah, this works for me too.

Originally Posted by susieqwva (Post 4737769)
Like it . . . . 1 yard
LOVE it . . . . 3 yards
REALLY, REALLY love it . . . . 6 yards!!!!

Mazda 12-01-2011 10:44 AM

I usually buy 3 yards.

Crafty1 12-01-2011 10:47 AM

At least 2 yards, but if the sale price is great and there's lots of it I get it all!

jmabby 12-01-2011 10:53 AM

I usually buy 2 yards, unless I think I might use it for the backing, then 6 yd. In other words, way too much. It seems everything I buy comes in streaks. It was fabric, then thimbles, now books. Someday I will stop buying, when they close my coffin door.

par4theday 12-01-2011 11:05 AM

I usually determine what I would probably be using it for. If I am buying for more colors in my bins for scrappies, I do half yard cuts. I never buy fat quarters because they usually cost more than cutting it off the bolt, and usually sales require half yd min. If it looks like it would make an outer border, usually 2 of 3 yards, so I can get the straight grain cuts. Would make a good fill in piece for scrappy, 3 yards. Only buy on sale. The only time I pay full price for fabric, is when I need to buy more to finish a quilt, and I have to have that particular piece.

Deb watkins 12-01-2011 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by susieqwva (Post 4737769)
Like it . . . . 1 yard
LOVE it . . . . 3 yards
REALLY, REALLY love it . . . . 6 yards!!!!

Susie, I am right in line behind you with the same amounts!!

MadQuilter 12-01-2011 11:19 AM

Depends on the pattern. From 1 to 3 yards. 5 if it can be used for a backing. Recently - very little because I'm putting myself on a stash-using budget.

ludlow quilt and sew 12-01-2011 12:12 PM

I always go for 2 yards. Sometimes it hangs around for ages before I suddenly decide which project I want to use it in. If the 2 yards isn't enough I just have to change the quilt design a bit.

DeMaris 12-01-2011 12:41 PM

I usually buy 3 yards but then have to buy at least 2 or 3 yards of one or two other to match it...LOL.

Went to the fabric store a couple of months ago....unfortunately husband drove me there....he knows that shopping with me cuts down on the cost to him.

He stayed in the car but sent our 9 year old son in with me. Son follows me all around the store. I take bolts up to counter and tell her 3 yard of this 3 yard of that....and so on....and so on.

I keep telling my son to go sit in car with dad...but he won't go....he is like bubble gum stuck on my shoe....LOL.

I add more fabric to the cutting table and after a little over an hour, I get finally decide it is time to go. The very nice clerk rings it all up and says.....$283.51 cents....my son detaches himself from me and runs to car to tell dad how much I just spent.

I was still writing out the check when my husband is standing right next to me at the cash register and say....REALLY with a very surprised look on his face. I looked up calmly and quietly replied back....really!!! He didn't say another word, even on the hour car ride home....LOL...LOL.

It was absolutely priceless. That was 3 months ago and I haven't cut any of the fabric yet....LOL....it is "my precious"!!!! I am bad about hoarding fabric!!!!

Judi in Ohio 12-01-2011 01:26 PM

I am a scrappy quilt girl. I love going to my fav online stores and I buy 1, 2, or 3 yds - seldom more. A LQS used to sell scraps for $2.95 a yard. They have a tremendous online business and these were end of bolts, miscuts, short ends. I used to go and buy 30 - 40 yds of scraps - it was a dream come true and really rounded out my bins of strips. They have raised the price to $3.95 and I can get yardage for just a bit more so I don't buy it anymore. I have several stores that I go to often to see what they have.
Judi