Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much fabric do you buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-fabric-do-you-buy-t170462.html)

Val in IN 12-01-2011 07:37 PM

I usually try to get 3 yds. I've been known to get 5 yds at times. At any rate, TOO MUCH!! (lol)

deemail 12-01-2011 08:54 PM

I buy the large amounts noted (3 yds to 6 yds) because i really do think of fabric as my working pallette... it does not have to have a specific purpose before purchasing, it has to fill a hole in my stash...either a different tone, tint or shade and when i need it, it will be there how much of what i buy is a function of the price, the pocketbook, and my mood....

sew1096 12-02-2011 02:08 AM

I am addicted to FQ's so I buy tons of them (ask me how many boxes and bins I have!). On yardage I usually buy 2-3 yards unless it is a neutral or black then I buy 4-5.

I have sooo many bins of fabric but now that the cost of fabric is going up I'm sure I'll be using more stash than buying new.

KyKaren1949 12-02-2011 04:05 AM

I think this depends on what the fabric is. Themes like 1930s, I usually only buy 1 yard. Novelties, I usually buy 1-2 yards. If it looks like it could be a focus fabric, I usually buy 2-3 yards. If it's something I would use for a quilt border, I buy 3.5 yards since I usually make queen or king size quilts. For blenders, tone on tone, shirtings,solids etc. I would buy 2 yards. For a binding fabric-1 yard. This was really confusing for me too when I first started because I had no idea how much fabric it took for everything.

Jeanniejo 12-02-2011 05:32 AM

Lots!! Need more space !

DixieLee 12-02-2011 05:43 AM

I started out buying a yard and then I went to 2 yards. Now it is mostly 2 but if I really like something I get 3. I do almost only bed size quilts and a lot of patterns say 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 etc. Sometimes I take smaller patterns and then enlarge them to bed size on my own. That is not a time to be running out of fabric.

coldquilter 12-02-2011 05:50 AM

I am trying to get better about controlling myself and just buy 1 yard and figure I can work something else in from my stash. But that's usually for a baby quilt, probably a couple yards if I were thinking about a bigger quilt.

QuiltforPD 12-02-2011 06:11 AM

This is a great quiestion. I buy FQ usually. If the site forces me to buy 1/2 yards then I do that but I like variety (scrap) quilts. I buy 1 yards if the price is good. I usually don't have a project in mind necessarily but I buy fabrics in groupings and store them that way. I bet that I will have to change my storage method over time. I am pretty new to quilting but my 'stash' is sure growing!

EagarBeez 12-02-2011 06:13 AM

I buy about 2 or 3 yds

quilter1 12-02-2011 06:25 AM

At least 2 yards but I have been known to buy 6 or more when the price is right and I really like the fabric. Guess that's why I have such a large stash. Lucky me!