Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much fabric do you buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-fabric-do-you-buy-t28260.html)

bebe 11-06-2009 02:12 PM

2 to 3 yards if it is good for borders,2 if going to use for sashing, 3 if it is a nuetral and used for background. If you want to build your stash w/ pretty colors then at least a yard. Itf the price is right then 6-9 for the backing of a quilt. Limit yourself on Fat q's till you build a bigger stash and have many other fabrics that coordinate. Just keep in mind 4 fat Q's make a yard and that yard can cost up to $10 instead find sales and buy yardage. If you want fat q's you need 16 coordinationg to make a lap quilt.

Damkina 11-06-2009 02:22 PM

If I really like it, about 3 metres, just over 3 yards... I think. I won't any less than 1 metre if it's on the bolt.

for fat quarters, I will buy them if they're either in a bundle or there's a few of them in the collection that I like.

Granted, I'm been making Quilts of Valour and saw some fabric that was great for backing... bought all the 10 metres because it was in the sale at a rock bottom price. I just couldn't walk away from it. :wink:

gaigai 11-06-2009 03:23 PM

If it is a fabric I really love, I have been known to buy the whole bolt, or at least five yards (and as much as 10)!! If I really like the fabric, I usually buy three to five.

LOL, even when I buy FQ's of fabric, I usually buy at least 4 of the same fabric!

shaverg 11-06-2009 03:25 PM

It depends, but never less than 1 yard.

LucyInTheSky 11-06-2009 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
The first time I bought less than a yard, DH was surprised. He thought 1 yd was a minimum cut.

Ha! You should've let him continue to believe that and only bought 1+ yards :D

LucyInTheSky 11-06-2009 03:47 PM

If it's a strong novelty type print, 1/2 yard unless I love it, then 1 yard. If it's a blender/can go with more things (flowers, basic shapes, etc), 1 yard. I try to keep it at 1 yard or under - gets expensive quickly!

Boston1954 11-06-2009 03:51 PM

I USED to be a quarter of a yard person, but no more. I have loads of variety but not enough of anything to start a real nice project. Well, actually that was earlier this year. I have started buying 2 yards of anything I like. I figure that if I start something that needs a few different colors, I should have enough to make it fairly large.

foxxigrani 11-06-2009 04:49 PM

When I first started quilting and Simply quilts was still on TV, I watched a show that asked that same question. She said that a good rule of thumb is at least 3 yrds. So have been buying at least 3 yrds. Sometimes if I really like it or it is a little over at the end of the bolt I will buy a little more. But to just put in stash because I like it but have no project in mind, 3. Hope this helps.

Rita

sewsewquilter 11-06-2009 05:05 PM

I shop like SharonC. :D The only difference is I will buy a fq of batik for future scrappy. I am a batik junkie.

littlehud 11-06-2009 05:10 PM

If I really like it I buy 3-5 yards. The rest 1-2 yards. That usually works for me. I really love big floral prints and the other day at the fabric store my 6 year old grand daughter was with her mom while I look. She yelled from two aisles over "Over here grandma. I found the flowered ones you like. Hurry before someone else buys them. " Even she knows what I like. I bought three yards of it because that was what was left on the bolt.