Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How often do you change your needle? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-often-do-you-change-your-needle-t161894.html)

tlclifford47 10-21-2011 03:19 PM

You are suppose to change the needle??? Haha I am so funny.
No really I do change the needle when I see my stitches starting to skip.

BettyGee 10-21-2011 03:45 PM

I change my needle at the start of a new project. Learned it the hard way that pushing a needle beyond its use is just asking for problems. I have also been trying to be aware of what I'm asking of the needle and put the correct size in and I'm happy to say that it has prevented much frustration. I found that trying to sew denim with the wrong needle is just asking for a headache so I switch and it has made me a much happier sewer. Also use thread designed for denim and I love it!

adrianlee 10-21-2011 04:14 PM

I only change the needle when I hear that "pop" sound or if I see the fabric being pulled sightly up because of a burr on the needle.

fabric_fancy 10-21-2011 04:39 PM

i change the needle on the machine i piece with every 60 days and i change the needle of the quilting frame with every other quilt.

sew1096 10-22-2011 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Suzanne in VT
I guess I'm odd because I have a "method" for this.

I have a little plastic case that I keep my bobbins and needles in. I clean my machine after 5 bobbins and change my needle after 10 bobbins.

So, I only wind 5 bobbins at a time. Once they are gone I clean the machine, wind up 5 more, put my needles into the slot closest to the new wound bobbins, and begin stitching again. Once those bobbins are gone I clean my machine and remember it is time to change the needle because the needles are in the slot beside my bobbins. After this I then put the needles in the far left slot so I know that I did it.

Sad how anal I am, but too many other things going on in a regular day and it is the only way I can remember to do these things.

Suzanne

You are so organized Suzanne! I wish I were, but I think I'll put your system into practice and see if I can keep it up.

As it is I try to change the needle when I start a new large project but when doing small ones I forget how long I've been going on one needle. So your system just might remind me. :-)

oldbalt99 10-22-2011 10:16 PM

My system went, out just then. I use three size needles in making one quilt, so the wear and tear is shared. I think I change three to four needle sizes every six months.

Connie in CO 10-22-2011 11:59 PM

I think when i go back to sewing i'm going to try that other kind of needle i'm not even going to try to spell it.Connie in CO

QuiltMe 10-23-2011 12:23 AM

This thread must be varigated. ; )

Joyce Ann 10-23-2011 05:28 AM

Not often enough I should be changing about now

sewingmom3 10-24-2011 01:08 AM

I usually only change a needle when it breaks, bends, or starts clunking.