Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how often do you change your needle when piecing quilt tops? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-often-do-you-change-your-needle-when-piecing-quilt-tops-t85765.html)

Decoratenu 12-29-2010 03:16 PM

Renda, I usually change my needle whenever I start a large project, BUT I've discovered Titanium needles & they easily last 5 times longer than a regular needle. I LOVE them & they're certainly worth the price difference. I also do machine embroidery, which is how I discovered them & now I like to use them whenever I can. With regular needles, you know when to change them if you start getting puckers or other issues.

plainjane 12-29-2010 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by IBQLTN

Originally Posted by plainjane

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
when it breaks or i can hear it popping through fabric

Me too! I am ashamed to say I've had a serger (past tense-got a new one!) for 8 years and never broke or changed those needles - probably still in there! :( I grew to hate that machine...
I plan to be kinder to my machines in 2011!

Perhaps it misbehaved because someone neglected to feed it new needles, hmmm????

O.K., I confessed elsewhere on a post of my bad ways - now everyone knows :). Inspired by someone who changes her needle and oils the machine after every 2 bobbins used up - I shouldn't have to confess too much more....
BTW-the machine really didn't act up so much as it was the threading that was a bear-new Babylock :) :) a few years ago.

Marge L. 12-29-2010 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I can tell the difference in sound on the machine when the needle gets dull (I just heard that sound again). So time to change the needle.

Ditto

moonwolf47 12-29-2010 03:35 PM

When it breaks or catches on the material.

cwessel47 12-29-2010 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
When I feel I really need to, which is not often enough. :-D

That would be me! and my 1936 Featherweight!

mshawii 12-29-2010 03:52 PM

I tend to bend my needles so That is when I change them. Jan

Sloan Quinn 12-29-2010 04:10 PM

So...I'm not sure if this is what you mean by "popping through the fabric", but my machine makes a loud thunk noise when the needle goes down and the bobbin swings...i would think that would be far too loud to be the fabric giving, but I also don't remember my machine always having made that noise. Is it because I need to change my needle?

GloBug 12-29-2010 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by renda
Is there some rule regarding this?

The factories change the needles every 8 hours. As thoes needles get a lot hotter then the ones we use in our home machines. I like to change mine about every 8-10 hours or once a week.Hope this answers your questions.

:P

cheryl rearick 12-29-2010 04:44 PM

I have to chuckle, some of us are BAD, lol However I learned something here. I do not change it often enough. Always wonderdered what tha tping noise was :) :) :)

ann31039 12-29-2010 05:32 PM

your supposed to change one before it breaks??? :shock: