Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How would you quilt this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-would-you-quilt-t223669.html)

FroggyinTexas 06-16-2013 09:15 AM

Unless you are a far better user of your domestic machine for quilting than am I, you should take this to a long armer. This is too beautiful a top to put at risk. Or bite the bullet and hand quilt. froggyintexs

Originally Posted by Quilter in MN (Post 6121790)
This quilt is a christmas gift for my mom and I'd like to quilt it myself on my domestic machine. Besides stitch in the ditch along the main seams, I'd love some opinions and other options [ATTACH=CONFIG]418884[/ATTACH]

Gerbie 06-16-2013 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter in MN (Post 6121790)
This quilt is a christmas gift for my mom and I'd like to quilt it myself on my domestic machine. Besides stitch in the ditch along the main seams, I'd love some opinions and other options [ATTACH=CONFIG]418884[/ATTACH]

I also quilt on my domestic machine, and If I were going to quilt this using a straight line, I think I would quilt on each side of the center black square both vertically and horizontally, that would also make a cross hatch. Or I might use a curvy stitch vertically only along each side of the center black square or along the second light grey block vertically. That's a beautiful quilt and I know your Mom will love it. Thanks for sharing.

Carol34446 06-16-2013 10:12 AM

Beautiful quilt, I might go to a long armer who can really jaz it up with fancy quilting, or hand quilt.

littlebitoheaven 06-16-2013 03:48 PM

I am a novice domestic machine quilter but one of the things I love to see (and I have seen many quilted this way on this site) is a flower-type motif with petals projecting out in the white section, which gives the illusion of curves in the squares. I hope that makes sense. Simple loop petals like petals from a mum. Please post your finished quilt. I believe that you can do this yourself and it will be beautiful. The quilt is already gorgeous so no matter what you decide it will always be beautiful. Yolanda Wood River

Pepita 06-16-2013 09:38 PM

Another take on the straight lines, is using a little free motion wavy lines, done in the same manner. If you put a little curve in there it looks intentional, and still looks good. I think cross hatching in the white areas are beautiful. Old quilts often did it in pairs or even in 3's.

justflyingin 06-16-2013 09:54 PM

It's a beautiful top and she will love no matter what you do for the quilting!

My time 06-17-2013 05:02 AM

This is so pretty why don't you hand quilt it? You know it goes a lot faster than people think. Plus why do we have to be in such a hurry to make our quilts?

bigsister63 06-17-2013 05:27 AM

I would do SID around the inner side of the blocks and also the triangle and maybe the square. I use invisible thread when SID so mistakes are noi so noticible and coordinating thread on the bobbin to the backing. It always go back to how far apart the quilting needs to be according to batting maker. I prefer SID since it allows the block pattern and the colors to stand out instead of the quilting.

leighway 06-17-2013 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 6122507)
Here are few straight line designs I often use.
Your quilt is really nice!!
Jan in VA

Jan, I agree, you are ALWAYS so helpful. I'm going to use these, myself. and for her quilt, I'd use the cross hatch and then do concentric squares in the border.