Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am tired...stash sorting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-tired-stash-sorting-t48511.html)

2wheelwoman 06-05-2010 05:48 PM

I do categories as well, 30's, red-white-blue-patriotics, black-white, Asian, Christmas, tone-on-tone, florals, etc.

RST 06-05-2010 05:48 PM

I keep strips and scraps in clear shoe boxes, by color.

FQ (and some smaller chunks) up through yardage, I keep in drawers, sorted as
a)neutrals (black-grey, beige-brown, whites
b)cool colors (blues/greens/some purples)
c)warm colors (yellows, oranges, reds, purples and pinks d)novelty prints and seasonal patterns

For collections that I purchased together, pre-cuts, or things that i specifically intend to use in a single project, Ill keep them together in a clear show box.

I have some neutrals that I use for backings and sashings, etc, on the bolt until they get into a more manageable quantity.

EdieClay 06-05-2010 05:59 PM

As a new quilter I have a great system too ... I fold my fabric and scraps and put it in two pink crates in my sewing room. When I need a fabric, I scratch through the crates trying to find the piece I need ... the whole time saying, "I know I have some fabric in here that will work." I am really envious of those of you who are so organized. You have given me some great ideas to get myself organized before I get too deep in fabric. Thanks ... I love this Board!

Pamela Artman 06-05-2010 06:02 PM

I sort by type first - Christmas, batiks, homespuns, flanels, border fabric, baby, and florals. Then in each catagory, I sort by color. Then my colors I sort dark to light with darks on the bottom of each pile. And yes, I think I do have a touch of OCD!

craftybear 06-05-2010 06:05 PM

awesome

CarrieAnne 06-05-2010 06:11 PM

I sort by type too, but right now its a MESS!

MistyMarie 06-05-2010 06:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I organize mine by color and theme. I put all my 2+ yards on organizers and store them vertically on bookshelves. All my 1 yard cuts I store horizontally by color on another bookshelf with dividers between. My fat quarters are in a dresser, organized by color and by theme. Some of my FQ are stored on DVD stands vertically around organizer boards.

Boston1954 06-05-2010 06:18 PM

Mine are in clear plastic containers in catagories such as, Fall and Halloween, Christmas, doggies, and the like. I also have some in groups of when it was bought. I started getting 2 yards of whatever I buy, just last year. The newest stuff is all together.

littlehud 06-05-2010 06:22 PM

I sort mine by size and than color. Sounds like a busy yet productive day.

Maride 06-05-2010 06:36 PM

I feel to ashamed. I have a tool cabinet with shelves:

Top shelf I can't reach, so I keep parts of my machines and things I know I will not need in a while. Second shelf Fat Quarters Third non-fat quarters and bottom magazines. Is a real mess but I know where things are and use up my time sewing instead.