Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I did a bad, bad thing.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-did-bad-bad-thing-t116739.html)

sewer 55 04-18-2011 09:10 AM

I did something similar to you and I surely don't regret it. Just love my Viking Diamond.
I am retired for ten years and have an older Viking, but when I saw the Diamond, I just knew that it would be mine!!!
I did it, am making payments on it, and in another 2 1/2 years it will be alllllll mine. Now it's just a matter of learning how to use it to it's fullest.

JCquilts 04-18-2011 09:12 AM

Im with everyone else, get it while you can.....

rusty quilter 04-18-2011 09:16 AM

1 month ago I traded in my perfectly good Pfaff 2140 for a Bernina 820--why? For starters because I have been sewing 40 years. Because the new 820 is an incredible machine and I am old enough and wise enough to realize that we don't get a second chance at this life of ours. Because, I retired 9 months ago and have made 3 queens, 1 king, and several baby quilts--and am not likely to stop! Because research says that we need to find a way to "age in place". Well, as I age, I would just as soon that "place" be a good machine!

baglady65 04-18-2011 09:21 AM

I bought one when my DH retired, best move I made and it makes him happy that I'm Happy!!!! I got the 830 as I do lots of embroidery too! Just use the BEST thread in it!!
50wt 2 ply ot 60 wt 2 ply!! It will server you good to use the best in the BEST and enjoy too!!

grannie cheechee 04-18-2011 09:28 AM

ENJOY!!!!!!!!! If you were retired, and wanted it, it wouldn't happen.

Johanna Fritz 04-18-2011 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by tutt
Help, make me feel better!!!! Buyer's remorse sucks!

If I need a "quilting purchase" (I can't physically work), I look for something to cut. We don't eat out (family of four w/ 2 teenage boys) any more. It is just too much money for 90 minutes of entertainment. If there is just 2 of you, eating out once a week is at least $20 week minimum w/ tip, unless it's McD's. I would start with that - or reduce if you eat out a lot. You could challenge yourself to not buy new fabric, and "shop the stash." I have been selling a ton of former decorations (hand woven baskets etc) that I don't use anymore on Craigs List. I have sold about $1,000.00 worth of things so far this year.

It only takes a month or two of of looking at your spending to see where it all goes. Good luck.

MsSewer 04-18-2011 09:37 AM

When I was selling real estate I specialized in 1st time buyer. The day that their offer was accepted I would give them a baggie of M&Ms and told them they were anti buyers remorse pills. Worked every time. Go get some M&Ms

Iamquilter 04-18-2011 09:45 AM

You will be glad you bought it now because later not be so good. enjoy it.

Momsmurf 04-18-2011 09:48 AM

As long as my husband was OK with it I would probably do the same.

The key for me would be my husbands input. I just wouldn't want to end up "hearing" about it forever and ever after. :lol:

glenda5253 04-18-2011 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by DeniseP
You did a good thing for yourself. If you are getting to retirement age, you have worked all your life. You deserve a toy to use at your leisure and it's probably something you have wanted for a long time. Pay it off while you are working and know it will always be there for you to enjoy.

What she said!