Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I found a fabric I like but... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-found-fabric-i-like-but-t123754.html)

grammysharon 05-18-2011 06:52 AM

Amen! If you find something you love buy it then because other people will want it and when you go back it will be sold out. Ask me how I know!!

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
Yep!! If you really like it, get 3 or 4 yards and plan around that!! :thumbup:

grandjan 05-18-2011 06:58 AM

Sometimes a piece of fabric inspires a quilt design, rather than the other way around. Like many other people who have posted, I will buy at least three yards of a fabric I really love, because it always seems to be gone when you go back to get it and then you kick yourself for not buying it.

EagarBeez 05-18-2011 07:01 AM

I told DH what you have all said. So today I am going to buy the fabric. Thank you all for your comments.

juliea9967 05-18-2011 07:09 AM

Except for the basics, like marbles and fusions, they only make one run of fabric. When that is gone, there is no more to reorder. So - If I really like it, i buy it when I see it. Too many times I have thought I would get some later, and later it is all gone.

Originally Posted by gollytwo
Some shops do reorder, but I wouldn't take the chance were I you.

grandma anna 05-18-2011 07:25 AM

If you really like it you better get it before it's gone lol.

karenpatrick 05-18-2011 08:48 AM

I would buy it if I like it a lot. Chances are if you like it, a lot of other people will like it too. I wouldn't take a chance. If I really love it I buy 3 or 4 yards of it. That way I have enough for borders as well as blocks. If I just really like it, I buy a couple of yards. If I just like it and are afraid that it might be gone, I buy a yard. Does that make sense? I originally bought 6 yards (I bought all the store had) for my F8s for the latest boomerang block swap. Used most of it for the F8s and and ordered 5 more yards online so I wouldn't run when it came time to make my quilt.

Landers 05-18-2011 09:07 AM

DHs! what do they know! Get it Girl before it is gone!!!!

isewman 05-18-2011 09:08 AM

From Don-isewman-Usually when I buy fabric, I like, or want the fabric in my stash, I usually buy 3-4 yards. Or sometimes when the fabric tells me "take me home"(ha-ha) it anywhere up to 3 yards(end of bolt). Don-isewman

NatalieMacDonald 05-18-2011 09:56 AM

I heard years ago that fabric manufacturers classify yearly designs. I don't know if this is right but here goes:
A classification means it will only be manufacturered this one time. When it runs out it is gone.
B classification means they will manufacturer once more or see how the sales go.
C classification means manufacturers will make it for a few years in a row.

Classifications may be based on how well the sales go and the marketing goals.

This is a good question, I would like to hear more on this.

If you ask the quilt store (whoever does the fabric ordering) what the classification is and she/he should know - that will give you an idea of how available it will be for the long run.

MargeD 05-18-2011 10:53 AM

I read somewhere that if you see a fabric you like, but at least a half yard, however, if you really love it and might want to use it as a focus fabric in a quilt, buy 2-3 yards. My girl friend took me to a quilt shop where they had "sale" fabrics for $2.99/yd. as they were just making room for new fabrics in their shop. Some fabric I only bought a yard or two, but if I really loved it, bought 6-7 or even a little more to be used for backing fabric. I must admit that I am a fabric-aholic, and sometimes let my fabric "age - like fine wine", but I also make quilts to be raffled off by my church. I often let the fabric "speak" to me and I made a quilt recently where my backing fabric wanted a featured role in the quilt, so I did, and we raised over $1200 - it was a beautiful quilt, if I do say so myself. Now that we're both on Social Security, I'm glad I bought the fabric when I had the money, so now I have a great stash to support my quilting habit. Hope this helps.