Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I have a question about making a postage stamp quilt. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-have-question-about-making-postage-stamp-quilt-t153240.html)

dublb 09-15-2011 06:23 PM

oops! Double post!

OneMoreQuilt 09-15-2011 06:51 PM

You can duplicate fabrics in a Postage Stamp quilt. Some are even done in designs like Many Trips Around the World, 4 Patch, Nine Patch etc. You are not supposed to duplicate fabrics in a Charm Square quilt. Soooo..... try not to duplicate fabrics in a Charm Square Postage Stamp quilt!!!

Jennie and Me 09-15-2011 06:57 PM

I need to make one to use up some of my scraps. Wow, 1" finished, huh. Guess I should start it as an ongoing project, 'cause I might get a little tired of working with such small pieces. Yep, I'm in on this one.

Crafty1 09-15-2011 06:59 PM

It's your quilt so who would know anyways! There are lots of PS quilts made with duplicates, so it's up to you. The one I made I chose not to have duplicates, but the next I'm working on will have duplicates :) Have fun!

Peckish 09-15-2011 07:04 PM

Wow, you're going to cut all those little squares individually!?!? You are one brave quilter! I always figured if I ever made a postage stamp quilt, I'd HAVE to strip-piece it to keep myself sane! :lol:

I don't see any problem at all with using fabrics that end up looking similar. As an earlier poster said, who will know?

luckylindy333 09-15-2011 07:11 PM

Girls and young women used to make charm quilts. If they completed the quilt with no matching blocks, then the "charm" was complete and they would find a husband- kind of like a magic spell!

dublb 09-15-2011 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by OneMoreQuilt
You can duplicate fabrics in a Postage Stamp quilt. Some are even done in designs like Many Trips Around the World, 4 Patch, Nine Patch etc. You are not supposed to duplicate fabrics in a Charm Square quilt. Soooo..... try not to duplicate fabrics in a Charm Square Postage Stamp quilt!!!

:lol: I like it!

sueisallaboutquilts 09-15-2011 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
Oh I hear sirens! They are gonna get you if you keep telling all your secrets!.....SHHHHH....

Hahahahaha :thumbup: :thumbup:

dublb 09-15-2011 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jennie and Me
I need to make one to use up some of my scraps. Wow, 1" finished, huh. Guess I should start it as an ongoing project, 'cause I might get a little tired of working with such small pieces. Yep, I'm in on this one.

This is why I'm going to do this as a leader & ender quilt. It'll take me a while but I won't go crazy.

sherriequilts 09-15-2011 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I wondered that, too - but if every piece LOOKS different - why not?

I've also wondered how people keep a gazillion pieces sorted so they remember what they have and don't have.

I was thinking it might be a fun idea to cut identical squares and have people try to match them up. Sort of a grown up I Spy type of quilt.

Ditto