Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I have a question about making a postage stamp quilt. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-have-question-about-making-postage-stamp-quilt-t153240.html)

LyndaOH 09-16-2011 01:44 PM

I want to do a postage stamp quilt too. I started out making four patches from leftover squares and I'm undecided whether to incorporate them into the postage stamp quilt because they are each made of two fabrics. I think it might be nice to scatter them throughout.

In thinking about strip piecing, I was wondering if it would work to do a swap with strip piecing. For example, I take 25 (or so) different fabrics in my stash, cut a 1 1/2" strip from each and sew the strips together. I then subcut this into 25 (or so) 1 1/2" strips. Each of these strips would have one each of the twenty five fabrics. I swap 24 of them with other swappers, so everyone ends up with 25 different strips.

Would that work? Would anyone be interested?

KS quilter 09-16-2011 02:15 PM

I have been cutting 1 and 1/2 " squares for years. I know
what I am going to do with them, but they are definitely not all different,. They are small pieces that are left over from other projects. There might be l or 2 of a pattern and there may be 20...I would have trouble counting
'alikes' even if I wanted to. It is the all-over effect that makes the quilt interesting. I have a lot of different
fabrics in my stash...but I'm not sure they measure in the
thousands, ha.

Greenheron 09-16-2011 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mommomjoann
Dublb....you don't know what you are starting!!!! I started mine over two years ago, and still going. I have them in 5"x5" sqs.(25 pieces),stacked in containers. Don't know if I should put shushing around each one or just sew them all together. Each piece has been hand-sewn together. Makes a great on going project to take on trips or waiting time.
Good Luck...and yes, I agree...no one will know if you cut out a different section from the same material....but us!!!!

Mommomjoann, I wouldn't shush them unless they're really, really loud fabrics.
8-)

Pieceful Quilter 09-16-2011 02:55 PM

Your fabric, your labor, your quilt, your rules! Gotta love the freedom of that!!

Pete 09-16-2011 03:01 PM

I purchased a PS quilt years ago --- a lot of duplicates in it!

Peckish 09-16-2011 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Greenheron

Originally Posted by Mommomjoann
Don't know if I should put shushing around each one

Mommomjoann, I wouldn't shush them unless they're really, really loud fabrics.
8-)

ROFLMAO!!!!

A1penny 09-16-2011 03:28 PM

Just have a great time with it! The P.S. quilts I've seen had so many tiny squares, that no one would ever know where any of them came from.......relax, enjoy!

grandma Janice 09-16-2011 03:31 PM

if the charm quilt was to get a good man, I don't need anymore luck, I already have a good one. Mine has duplicates.

momto5 09-16-2011 03:44 PM

No quilt police...do whatever you want! (Well, within reason!)

tmjennings 09-16-2011 03:48 PM

And who cares?