Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I have a question about making a postage stamp quilt. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-have-question-about-making-postage-stamp-quilt-t153240.html)

Bon-bon 09-16-2011 05:04 PM

I have a large number of Christmas fabric squares. I can't decide how to put them together, maybe just sew them at random or make a disappearing 9 patch with them. I made one of them once, but not with Christmas fabric, turned out nice.

19angel52 09-16-2011 05:25 PM

Oh please do not tell me there is a postage stamp quilt police....I'd be sunk.

But then, I don't follow the rules for most of my quilts. I figure I can always say "well, they're supposed to be imperfect".....!!!!

dublb 09-16-2011 09:13 PM

Oh man I'm so excited about this now! Ya'll are such a help! I'll be able to collect these so much quicker. I knew about Charm quilts & thought Postage Stamp quilts were a type of Charm quilt. I didn't know that it was to get a husband. I've got a good one. 28 1/2 yrs! No charms for me! Thanks so much!!! This will definitely be a loooong time project. I think I will do some strip piecing with this to speed it up but it will still be my leader & ender project. I like the "my rules" concept. Ya'll keep me smiling & learning.
Thanks again.
BEV

suzanprincess 09-16-2011 11:48 PM

If the purpose of a charm quilt is to get a husband, how large do you suppose it had to be to get a really good one? And how small could I go to get just a good man to have around a few days a week? I'm not really interested in having one around full time, but could definitely appreciate a part-time "husband!" :XD:

A1penny 09-17-2011 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by suzanprincess
If the purpose of a charm quilt is to get a husband, how large do you suppose it had to be to get a really good one? And how small could I go to get just a good man to have around a few days a week? I'm not really interested in having one around full time, but could definitely appreciate a part-time "husband!" :XD:

Really funny reply!!! Made me laugh first thing this morning!

dublb 09-17-2011 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by suzanprincess

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My time 09-18-2011 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by dublb
I have started collecting fabrics for my Postage Stamp. I know that you're not supposed to duplicate any fabrics but( :wink: ) some of my scraps have so many different looks that once they are cut into 1 1/2" squares you would never know that they were from the same fabric. Is that acceptable ???

I think this will be my "leader & ender" quilt.

Okay this might be a dumb question but what does this mean? A "leader and ender" quilt?

Peckish 09-18-2011 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by My time
Okay this might be a dumb question but what does this mean? A "leader and ender" quilt?

Asked and answered on page 3 of this thread:

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid

Originally Posted by nhweaver

Can you tell me what is a "leader and ender" quilt. I have read it on this site before, but never asked.

Quiltville.com is a great site for anyone who wants to do more with their scraps. Here is Bonnie's description of what a "leader and ender" is:
http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...-and-hows.html

dublb 09-18-2011 01:53 PM

[quote=RNUNU]

Originally Posted by dublb
I have started collecting fabrics for my Postage Stamp. I know that you're not supposed to duplicate any fabrics but( :wink: ) some of my scraps have so many different looks that once they are cut into 1 1/2" squares you would never know that they were from the same fabric. Is that acceptable ???

I think this will be my "leader & ender" quilt.[/quote

I personally had never heard that the Postage Stamp was not supposed to duplicate any fabrics. I have a Postage Stamp Quilt that my GGG Grandmother made in the year 1840 .... and if you go to the Posting I made on it at .... www.quiltingboard.com/t-88451 .... you can and will see what she did, and every inch of the quilt is "handsewn and quilted", with the exception of the binding, which I put on by machine.

I didn't have time to look for your post about your GGG Grandmothers quilt the other day. (When I copied & pasted this link my computer balked.:roll: ) Well I just found it & it is lovely!! Is the muslin pieced 1" squares, or does it look that way 'cause of your awesome quilting?

My time 09-18-2011 03:09 PM

thank you for letting me know. I also do this but I never gave it a name. What a good idea to keep sewing together 2 inch pieces from all the projects we do. I am so going to start doing this, thanks!