Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need to make a baby quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-make-baby-quilt-t196774.html)

DJinSC 08-07-2012 06:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This is the first time I've tried to post pictures. Hope it works! Here are two baby quilts I've made that were soooo simple. I've done the log cabin one three times because I like it so much. The fabrics you choose make such a difference. Each one is totally different. You've gotten alot of great ideas. If you're interested in either of these, let me know and I'll send you directions. I also agree that a quilt made from a panel would be easy and look fantastic. They have so many different, really cute panels! Good luck! I love making baby quilts!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]354140[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]354139[/ATTACH]

FroggyinTexas 08-07-2012 07:43 AM

I love panels and adding borders. You can quilt them any way you want and that personalizes them. Panels are more durable than pieced tops because there are fewer seams to wear. I found some great panels at JoAnn's and you can find them on-line. Have fun. froggyintexas

Originally Posted by dbright (Post 5419374)
There are lots of awesome panels that you can add borders to and have a beautiful quilt in short time.

FroggyinTexas 08-07-2012 07:55 AM

Thanks for posting the top picture. It has given me an idea about what to do with some fabric that has been on my mind for years! I lvoe the log cabin--my favorite pattern--but too much work right now. froggyintexas

Originally Posted by DJinSC (Post 5423801)
This is the first time I've tried to post pictures. Hope it works! Here are two baby quilts I've made that were soooo simple. I've done the log cabin one three times because I like it so much. The fabrics you choose make such a difference. Each one is totally different. You've gotten alot of great ideas. If you're interested in either of these, let me know and I'll send you directions. I also agree that a quilt made from a panel would be easy and look fantastic. They have so many different, really cute panels! Good luck! I love making baby quilts!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]354140[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]354139[/ATTACH]

anniehug 08-07-2012 08:24 AM

I agree with you MadQuilter. I went on a dye-ing course, we ended up with 24 12inch squares of different colours and shades, all bright. I made a super baby quilt top in the DP9 design. Of course I have still to get round to quilting it, only had the top done for about 2 years!!!!!

MargeD 08-07-2012 10:24 AM

My "Go-To" baby quilt is to use a cute focus fabric and 2 coordinating fabrics, cut 4 -- 2.5" strips X WOF, then 5 -- 2.5" strips by WOF. Make 9 -patch blocks from those strips, measure, should be 6.5", but measure just in case and square up to 6.,5, then cut 3 strips from focus fabric into 6.5. Once assembled 5 x 7 blocks, I like to cut 2.5" strips for the first border and 6" or 6.5" strips for border. I've been making these quilts together and I still can't figure out how much fabric you need, approximately 2 yds of focus fabric and about half a yard for 9-patch blocks, or you can make the 9 -patch blocks 9 different colors if you would like. It's an easy quilt that works up quickly and you could probably piece, sandwich and quilt in a week or two, depending on your time available. I promise you, it's quick, easy and is beautiful when finished.

sept97 08-07-2012 10:46 AM

check out missouri quilt on youtube, she makes alot of baby quilts, good luck

DebbE 08-07-2012 11:03 AM

There are some wonderful panel prints out there, and a number have smaller blocks to go with it. Those are easy to put together, and to make it special, you could hand quilt it. I usually follow the outlines of the object in each block and hand quilt those. Make it extra special by doing a prairie point border, or piano key -- both very easy to do, and very 'showy'. You have lots of time to experiment. The Churn Dash block is wonderful to use the smaller blocks in the center, too, if you want some piecing in it. I totally agree with TanyaL, though -- make it a BABY quilt, not a smaller version of an adult quilt, by using baby prints, colors, etc. Should use very high quality fabric as the quilt will be washed many, many times, and be dragged around by baby. Enjoy the process, though - those are fun to make!

Sewbeeit2 08-07-2012 11:30 AM

Take your favorite block and enlarge the pieces to like 6 /8 inch grids and make an easy colorful quilt..
weather vane is a good one or carpenters star I believe. Polka dots and strips for grand border and you should be ready to quilt . God bless the me one.

grandmaemma 08-07-2012 12:32 PM

I just made the disappearing 9 patch with Missouri Quilt tute....love it and sooo easy. That's one I'm planning making again. Great choice!!

LivelyLady 08-07-2012 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by jtquilts (Post 5419434)
This would be the easiest way to make a darling baby quilt!

I agree. Marshall's Dry Goods have beautiful, inexpensive baby panels.