Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I think I have "cold feet" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-think-i-have-%22cold-feet%22-t113307.html)

JulieR 04-03-2011 07:05 PM

Oh I still get cold feet! I'm not sure that ever truly goes away. I also get sad to cut up my beautiful fabric because then it won't be whole and ready anymore - but that part is because I'm crazy, I'm pretty sure.

Just go for it. Is it warm and made with love? Then it's a successful quilt. :)

DogHouseMom 04-03-2011 07:08 PM

As far as I'm concerned, the only way you can "ruin" fabric is to burn it.

Cut away. Sew away. You can't make an omelet without cracking a few eggs.

hobo2000 04-03-2011 07:28 PM

Try 25 years and I still worry that I am biting off more than I can chew (or quilt). You just have to make that first cut, then you are off and sewing.

amyjo 04-03-2011 07:48 PM

My husband thinks I am nuts to cut up brand new material and then sew it together so it doesn't look like it did when I bought it. I told him his grandpa did a lot of quilting in the evenings when everyone else went to bed. He made some really heavy ones that I think are wool and also some heavy cottons. they are like 75 years old. Have them upstairs and probably should get them down and clean them up and patch if necessary. I always dig right in and then I wonder did I do that right? won't ever totally go away.

lscho4jm 04-03-2011 07:53 PM

Quilting for 30+ years and still get timid t times. :shock:

amma 04-03-2011 07:58 PM

I have bought the cheapest fabric I could find and made practice blocks. That way I had more confidence when I went to cut my "good" fabric. It also lets me find out if I want to make more of the blocks as well as to test out the patterns :D:D:D

pamkasperi 04-03-2011 09:40 PM

Big time YES...so my advice - as a newbie as well...post your pictures; ask for help; interact - everyone here is GREAT...I've learned so much and from the first quilt I posted to the one I have done today - there is such a huge improvment - its come from practice and this board.

Rie 04-03-2011 09:47 PM

oh the stories my seam ripper could tell :D
in no time you will be sewing and cutting
and enjoying the wonderful creations you will
make. . . .go for it and don't forget to post
your pics I just know they will be beautiful

cathylynn 04-03-2011 10:17 PM

not just a newbie thing. I've had fabric for 2 twin quilts I want to make my great nephew for a couple of weeks now and just can't seem to make myself cut it into all the strips I'll need for them. but I promised him so I better get a move on.

Ramona Byrd 04-03-2011 10:24 PM

So what if you ruin a little fabric? That's the best way to learn how NOT to do things.

Go to thrift shops and get some nice looking clothes and sheets and work with them. Then you can start in with the 10 dollar a yard stuff. Or you just might fall in love with soft, well washed fabrics and stay with them for a while. Who knows?

Try it, you might like it.