Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I went ahead & bought it! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-went-ahead-bought-t159293.html)

tazzyMae 10-10-2011 09:13 AM

yes i do and i love it...works wonders on those twirly sections (4 point intersections)

callie 10-10-2011 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by littleone
I discovered the hammer trick when hemming jeans, my stitches would always skip when sewing over the side seams. Out of frustration I flattened the seam with a ballpean hammer. Keep one in my sewing room all the time now. (don't do it on the cement floor- ask me how I know***).

I am not going to ask because I know and it brought a chuckle to my heart. Not laughing at you, but know I might have done the same thing. Bless you my child (LOL)

kiffie2413 10-10-2011 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by alikat110
I bet there is a bit of satisfaction in getting to smack something that is bothering you....like bulky seams.

:thumbup: :thumbup: Here is another "agreeing with ya!!"
Kif

IBQLTN 10-10-2011 09:33 AM

Well, in the 'olden days' we used to have wooden 'clappers' that did the same thing. It was a piece of unfinished wood that you 'clapped' down on top of steamed seams to reduce the bulk. (I think I still have mine somewhere ... I'll have to look. It was used a lot in tailoring.

Sallysue48 10-10-2011 09:43 AM

I have used this method when hemming blue jeans. I use a regular hammer but always put another piece of fabric over the seam so I don't get the black from DH's hammer. The one you got will be a little more gentle and with regular fabric you don't need to put a big wallup in it just a few gentle taps.

mcdor 10-10-2011 11:32 AM

Saw this at a quilt show a few years ago, bought a hammer at Menards with a small yellow acrylic head. works great especially for bulky points. flattens the seams nicely..

Margie 10-10-2011 11:59 AM

Do you do this on your ironing board or where? lol...would be afraid I might break the board. Now I have to order one of these..I love tools.

Originally Posted by deedum
This was a bit more than I wanted to pay, but thought it might be worth it! You press the top of your point with a spurt of steam (like in a pinwhe el where the points all come together) and then smack it with this hammer. It flattens that point,it really works, I am pleased. Guess you can use it on any seam that gives you a bump or issue.

I don't know if it was smart, but it works and what is one more tools in my sewing room at this point? Anyone else have one?

alikat110 10-10-2011 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts

Originally Posted by alikat110
I bet there is a bit of satisfaction in getting to smack something that is bothering you....like bulky seams.

Hehehehe I was thinking there might be times it would not be safe to let me loose with that little mallet.

Hehehehe!!!!

anniemae 10-10-2011 01:40 PM

you can also use a block of wood like a piece of two by four. put steam in the seam and whaack it with the blovk of wood.

anniemae 10-10-2011 01:41 PM

you can also use a block of wood like a piece of two by four. put steam in the seam and whaack it with the block of wood.