Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I wrecked a vintage gem.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-wrecked-vintage-gem-t127855.html)

Prism99 06-03-2011 07:30 PM

There is a vintage Viking group on Yahoo if you want a "consult".

You can still take her to Goodwill even if she doesn't work; people buy machines there for parts as well as for working machines.

Maia B 06-03-2011 07:32 PM

Oooooo-sorry, but don't blame yourself. It was partly broken already.

Painiacs 06-03-2011 08:29 PM

Sorry she arrested and CPR won't help! U can make her an organ donor!!

ctack2 06-03-2011 09:05 PM

Call a shop and see what they charge just to check it out for you. Worth the call.

deedum 06-04-2011 04:33 AM

I would be very surprised if it can't be fixed. Those old machines are tanks, and I think if you contacted the right mr.fixit man, you could have her up and going in no time. I know, I live with my mr.fixit man. He fixes anything that goes wrong on my old machines. Don't throw her out just yet! Wait and talk with people, you might be surprised!

KarenK 06-04-2011 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
I would be very surprised if it can't be fixed. Those old machines are tanks, and I think if you contacted the right mr.fixit man, you could have her up and going in no time. . . . . Don't throw her out just yet! Wait and talk with people, you might be surprised!

I purchased my Viking 6020 in 1970. There have been just a few repairs over all these years. The beginning of this year, it needed a new motor and I asked if it was worth fixing. I was told, fix it, that I would never find another machine as good as this model. I would check the resources on the Board, the yellow pages, Google, LQS's, fabric stores. I have my machine serviced once a year and repaired by an independent technician. Hopefully, there is someone in your area who can give you an estimate on repairs, then make your decision about whether to let go of your machine or keep it.

so-sew 06-04-2011 08:45 AM

OK, people. Here's another thought. I know my church thrift store has a 60 20 whose reverse button doesn't work (sticks in). It doesn't have accessories or a table, and I'm not sure if the dials on it are stuck or not. Once I found out the reverse wasn't funcioning, I walked away. I could perhaps rob that one for parts or visa versa. The machine is only $10 and I paid $20 for this one. Grand total of $30. I'm not sure I want to invest more into it. Anyone in central Wisconsin interested in taking the risk?

Incidently, they also have a nice buttonholer for a Featherweight. Let me know if anyone is looking for one.

okiepastor 06-04-2011 02:18 PM

I would run, not walk to get the other one!

TonnieLoree 06-04-2011 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
There is a vintage Viking group on Yahoo if you want a "consult".

You can still take her to Goodwill even if she doesn't work; people buy machines there for parts as well as for working machines.

I'm the Goodwill sucker. I have bought items there which said they were working, but when I got it home the only part that worked was the light. :thumbdown:

Prism99 06-04-2011 07:11 PM

I always try to test the machine in the store before purchasing. Our Goodwill has electrical outlets. Plus I usually buy only at a Goodwill that will take a return (and I keep the receipt!). Been stung once too often that way......