Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   IF you are a wash/soak your fabrics before cutting person. . . (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-you-wash-soak-your-fabrics-before-cutting-person-t221615.html)

ghostrider 05-16-2013 12:32 PM

I prewash and dry everything I buy (hot for both) before storing it, but never measure it before and after. I don't much care about the rate of shrinkage, don't see any point in it. I measure the postwash WOF when figuring cutting requirements for a particular project, but that's the only time it matters to me. I don't buy precuts.

Lori S 05-16-2013 12:36 PM

Once in a while I will measure, just to see how much shrinkage really occurred . It is interesting which fabrics shrink .

bearisgray 05-16-2013 12:39 PM

I started measuring when some folks said they couldn't see/tell any difference - and I wanted to verify if the soaking/washing was really worth the effort.

It is to me.

Daylesewblessed 05-16-2013 01:06 PM

I don't usually measure, but I was curious about the Rac-Lon bleached muslin I was using. I had bought several yards of it, but it was to be cut up into 10" squares for the backing to QAYG blocks. I was planning to pre-shrink in lengths of 40". Well, I cut the units more like 41" or 42". Yes, it did shrink, and I had to scrimp on the 10" squares, making each of them a little smaller. It didn't matter for the project, since the blocks were trimmed to 9.5" after being quilted.

petthefabric 05-16-2013 01:58 PM

I don't measure. But this is very good reason to preshrink.

ckcowl 05-16-2013 02:03 PM

I tend to buy yardage- drop it on the washer when it comes home (I walk right by the washer on my way into the house) like colors are washed together- I do not bother to measure before or after- I expect to have received the amount I asked for- I wash it like any laundry---with detergent- a normal cycle- if I think it may bleed I use a color catcher just to check/be safe- then I toss it into the dryer- when it comes out I iron it & either use it right away or put it away--
I know that looser weave fabrics (muslin's vs. batiks) will shrink more than tighter weave fabrics- so I generally buy extra knowing that---beyond that I don't worry about it.

Misty's Mom 05-16-2013 03:18 PM

I wash all fabric except precursor, and when they're gone, I'm going to make my own. Had too many experiences, but bought a bunch before I found out.

mimmy96 05-16-2013 03:26 PM

I prewash all mine.. but do not do any measuring!

YC Quilter 05-16-2013 03:59 PM

Wow, I've never prewashed my fabric. I buy most of it at my LQS and always assumed it was good quality. I like a little shrinkage after I wash the quilt to get that older look. I did buy some fabric from Joann's that as I started cutting and piecing with it I thought uh oh. Havent quilted and washed that one yet so I will find out then.

QuiltnLady1 05-16-2013 04:09 PM

I prewash more and more fabric -- and no I don't measure since all I care about is getting the junk out and shrinking it if needed. I always do it if I mix fabric from LQS, Joanns and WalMart since they I know the quilt will be a mess if I didn't.

I don't do pre-cuts but I don't think pre-shrinking will be a happy experience.