Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm scared of binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-scared-binding-t122231.html)

Baloonatic 05-11-2011 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Renee110
I have finished my first quilt...a king size...handquilted. Now it's time for the binding which I'm scared to start. It's just so big, and I did make a wallhanging that was 25 x 25 and I messed up the binding on that. My corners weren't pretty, it was kinda warped and there was even a 2 inch spot that the machine didn't catch, and I had to re-do that. So I have been putting off starting the binding for over a week. I kinda wish I had left enough backing to bring to the front.

Aww, you don't want to do that. Many quilts have wavy lettuce-leaf edges because it was self-bound. The quilting slightly shrinks the quilt...but not the outer edge if it is turned for binding! Go ahead and use the same fabric, but for Pete's sake cut it off and make it a proper binding. There are some good tutes you can watch to help you. Finishing the binding is one of my favorite parts of making a quilt. And corners are so SO easy!
Oh heck, just send the thing to me, I'll do it

Baloonatic 05-11-2011 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Renee110
I've watched Sharon Schamber's binding video, which also scared me. It just seems to me that trying to glue and iron 110 feet of binding to a king size quilt will be almost impossible. I just have a regular ironing board.

I iron the binding up after I machine stitch it on, then I turn it over the edge and use just 2 binding clips to hold it while I hand sew it down. My corners are perfect. I haven't yet found the need to use glue

Marion T 05-11-2011 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
You hand quilt a KING SIZE QUILT, and you are scared of the binding??
Girlfriend, you are nearly done, bite the bullet, read some of the tutorials, view some You tubes and get it done!!! ;)

I agree - get going!! I hate binding, but its the downhill run to finishing!! Read read read, watch watch watch, and do do do!!

GramaLaura 05-11-2011 05:59 AM

Binding is my favorite thing! Go slow and try again....you can do it :-D

Scrap Happy 05-11-2011 06:03 AM

You CAN do this!! Let that be your mantra as you work on it. NanaCsews2 suggested what I was going to suggest – practice on small quilted squares. You could take a 6” square and machine sew and ‘X’ like you would for a rag quilt and then put a binding on it. Once you get the hang of it you'll realize how easy it really is.

nativetexan 05-11-2011 06:23 AM

is there a quilt shop or a senior center with quilters near you? i'm sure someone could help.

noahscats7 05-11-2011 06:24 AM

If I'm uncertain about any binding I use Elmer's school glue to secure it and then do the sewing. You put little dots of glue, no you don't need a special tip, to the turned down binding and heat set with an iron. This gives you a chance to play with the corners and then no pins in your way as you sew. It will give you such satisifction to have a really neat finished quilt. Glenda

Homemother 05-11-2011 06:28 AM

Renee - I sent you a pm.

TootieAnn 05-11-2011 06:32 AM

You can do the binding! I know you can! I got a little miter tool from my LQS that really helped me with my corners. I can't remember the name of it right now, but if you go in and ask for it, the staff might know. Go for it girl! And let us know when you're finished!

TootieAnn 05-11-2011 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
I too used to be scared of binding ... my first quilts, I even had the quilter put the binding on.

Then I started to think there's no reason why I can't save tne $ and do it myself. Now I enjoy binding and love putting that finishing personal touch on a project as I finish it up.

Practice ... and practice some more ... and you'll soon wonder why you had the fear!

PS ... remember that FEAR is merely
False
Evidence
Appearing
Real!!!!!!!!!

I love your acronym!