Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm thinking about de-stashing totally (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-thinking-about-de-stashing-totally-t111360.html)

crazythread 03-29-2011 03:33 AM

I took a class with Bonnie K Hunter last fall. After seeing her scrappy quilts and reading her book LEADERS & ENDERS, I fell in love. I am now on my 3rd full size scrappy quilt and have only bought 2 yards of material (one of the quilts had 600 hst and I wanted them to match). My stash is finally starting to look smaller.No much but some. I would make scrappy anything to destash my stash. Just remember with scrappy it is not the color that matters but the placement of your darks and lights.

Janj 03-29-2011 03:34 AM

I don't have huge stash, but currently using up some while adding a bit of new now and again... I used to laugh at how quilters had such big stashes.. Now I have a stash~small in comparison to many, but still currently using out of it to clear some while adding to it with others..:)

brendadawg 03-29-2011 03:36 AM

If I live long enough, you know, maybe to.....150 years young!

quilt3311 03-29-2011 03:50 AM

No will probably NEVER use it all, but it sure is fun to play in the stash. I just think what fun my friends will have when they come to "de-fabric" my quilt studio. They will be allowed to come in and haul off anything they want. Just bet there will not be much left after they all leave. Am thinking about having security to prevent fabric fights. grin

chergram 03-29-2011 03:52 AM

i have been thinking if doing a real charn quilt they used to be none of the same piece alll different color fabrick was thinking of asking on the other site i have if anyone wants to do a swap send unsewed blocks that way could get a bunch of different ones i do not have a large stash

deema 03-29-2011 03:56 AM

If I found myself in your situation, I would go through my stash and really be honest with myself on what I will use and what I won't and sell what you won't. My stash is meager at best, and mostly blenders and tonals so I feel pretty confident that I will use most of what I have in one project or another. But if I were finding that I had shelves upon shelves of fabric that I *really* couldn't find a use for, I'd do away with it.

Maurene 03-29-2011 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting

Originally Posted by gaigai
The object of stash isn't to use it up, it's just to have enough of it.

Oh you have dangerous ideas :twisted: :twisted:

Oh dear, you're all making me look at what has been a mysterious drive for a long time. I hate to even think of it let alone admit the word hoarder, but.... Yikes, will have to get busy. The idea of cutting up everything into scrappy pieces is great. Does anyone else do this? I suppose sorting them into different colours would be helpful. A friend's mom did this to make a Log Cabin about 30 years ago. I can still see her with 7 or 8 clear plastic bags of twenty different fabrics in each colour reaching into the bags for the top strip.

Maurene 03-29-2011 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting

Originally Posted by gaigai
The object of stash isn't to use it up, it's just to have enough of it.

Oh you have dangerous ideas :twisted: :twisted:

Oh dear, you're all making me look at what has been a mysterious drive for a long time. I hate to even think of it let alone admit the word hoarder, but.... Yikes, will have to get busy. The idea of cutting up everything into scrappy pieces is great. Does anyone else do this? I suppose sorting them into different colours would be helpful. A friend's mom did this to make a Log Cabin about 30 years ago. I can still see her with 7 or 8 clear plastic bags of twenty different fabrics in each colour reaching into the bags for the top strip.

ginnie6 03-29-2011 04:02 AM

well I've bought or collected the fabric so I will use it. I bought it when I had the money...usually a little left here and there from the grocery budget. Lately the grocery budget is barely buying groceries. So as much as I may want to buy fabric it ain't happening. I may buy a yard or two in a few months for the CW quilt I'm doing but anything else I make is going to be a scrap quilt from the stash.

Oh and my stash is NOT huge. I have three 3' shelves and a few tubs.

cowpie2 03-29-2011 04:09 AM

I don't have much of a stash myself. Mostly on purpose. The few pieces I purchased as a stash never seem right for projects either. I've decided, at least for now, I need to only buy for specific projects.