Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Inmate Quilting Program (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/inmate-quilting-program-t58281.html)

tooMuchFabric 09-05-2010 07:35 PM

Thanks!
Is there some kind of website we can visit, or some kind of mailing list we can get on, to know when it's coming?

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts

Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
Please put up some kind of link to a website or articles about your prison's quilt festival.
I travel that-a-way now and then, and would love to see it.

The Quilt Festival is presented by the Western Heritage Museum here in Hobbs. I usually save the "best" quilts that are turned in during the year and bring them for display. The quilts remain hanging for 1 month. The effort to hang an exhibit is enormous, so we let them live there that long. This is also a time when there isn't much else going on, except tourists, so it's a good time for the Festival. Every other year we have guest speakers an dendors, but this year we had a make-it-and-take-it workshop for anyone who was there. We even got a guy (husband) who really got into the whole quilting thing!!! He was so proud of his little 4-patch quilt he made. We were too!

The Festival is usually held from the middle of June to the middle of July. I don't know when it will be next year, yet.

Kathy

QuiltswithConvicts 09-05-2010 07:54 PM

[quote=tooMuchFabric]Thanks!
Is there some kind of website we can visit, or some kind of mailing list we can get on, to know when it's coming?

[quote=QuiltswithConvicts]

Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
Please put up some kind of link to a website or articles about your prison's quilt festival.
I travel that-a-way now and then, and would love to see it.

I'll try to find the website for the Western Heritage Museun and Lea County Cowboy Hall of Fame - it used to be this long, complete title, but I think they have shortened it, but I haven't the foggiest. I'll dig through my stuff tomorrow to see if I have it.

Kathy

QuiltswithConvicts 09-05-2010 08:01 PM

http://www.museumshobbsnm.org/

Try this link - I found it on Bing just now. I don't think there will be anything now as they usually don't put anything up until the deadlines are getting close.

Kathy

tooMuchFabric 09-05-2010 08:14 PM

Oh thanks, that's wonderful. I've got it bookmarked.
And the intro video is very interesting.

Pickles 09-05-2010 08:54 PM

Kathy you are doing a fantastic job with that program , those Quilts are all Superb . I think they should put this kind of program in all prisons . You are such a sweet person to go and do this for these men :thumbup: :D

sandpat 09-08-2010 07:08 PM

Kathy...thats a really interesting read for someone like me who doesn't know much about our prison system. My imagination leads me to somewhere way other than a a group of men competing about their quilt designs! You do have a very unique opportunity and I'm happy to hear someone so proud of their work situation. Your story is refreshing on a lot of different levels. I'm sure like everyone else, you have your days that are challenges, but I'm really happy for you and your group of "boys". Their work looks really great!

Grandma Cindy 12-08-2010 09:34 PM

Such an interesting job. After eight years, I am sure you have seen and heard it all. To be paid as well, that's great, can you quilt while there? Too bad there isn't a short video of them throughout their day, what a good documentary that would be.

BETTY62 12-08-2010 10:04 PM

The quilts are beautiful. God Bless you for your part in the program.

Betty

Gina_D 12-08-2010 10:44 PM

What a cool story! I am so impressed with the quilt-tech's quilts- and all hand quilted! They should be proud of themselves. And you have to be a special kind of person to keep on top of this program. Kudos!

Joan 12-08-2010 11:00 PM

You've already heard it but it bears repeating that this thread has been extremely interesting. It is indeed inspiring to read about prisoners doing something positive with their lives that helps others (as well as helping their own self exteems).

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this story! :lol: