Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Insul-bright (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/insul-bright-t23365.html)

bearisgray 07-28-2009 12:12 PM

The manufacturer states that at least one layer of cotton batting should be used with it when the purpose is for pot holders or oven mitts.

Shiny side of the insul bright should face the hot/cold source.

NOT to be used in a microwave oven.

dojo36 07-28-2009 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
One tip: I have made many potholders using insul brite and I have found if you don't sandwich it between cotton batting it doesn't stop the heat from a hot pot in your hand. The potholders I sandwiched, I can safely lift a hot dish from the oven.

a class in potholders taught me: 2 layers of insul-bright - shiny sides out will definitely keep the heat off ur hands.

bearisgray 07-28-2009 12:24 PM

So -

For potholders (that are to be used, not just to be pretty)

One layer of insul-bright plus one layer of Warm and Natural Batting

or

One layer of Insul-bright with two layers of Warm and Natural Batting
(would the insul-bright go between the warm and natural layers?)

or

Two layers of Insul-bright?

I want to avoid burning myself when handling hot things, but I want the holder to be flexible, also.

The Babe 07-28-2009 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by dojo36

One tip: I have made many potholders using insul brite and I have found if you don't sandwich it between cotton batting it doesn't stop the heat from a hot pot in your hand. The potholders I sandwiched, I can safely lift a hot dish from the oven.

a class in potholders taught me: 2 layers of insul-bright - shiny sides out will definitely keep the heat off ur hands.

Have you tried this and know it works?

tlrnhi 07-28-2009 02:00 PM

Thanks all!
I usually just put 2 layers of batting in and call it good.

I LOVE the baby placemat idea, but I need something quick to make, something that I really don't have to go out and buy anything else to go with it and with that, I'd have to buy the spoon and ribbon.
But, it'd be a great gift for a baby shower!! :)

Barbm 07-28-2009 02:25 PM

do you think a layer of insul bright between 2 batting is too thick? I need to experiment now. jeeesh.

simple question terri and now I need to play to satisfy my curiosity.

bearisgray 07-28-2009 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Barbm
do you think a layer of insul bright between 2 batting is too thick? I need to experiment now. jeeesh.

simple question terri and now I need to play to satisfy my curiosity.

me, too

sunnyhope 07-28-2009 04:45 PM

So how should the "sandwich" look like?

bearisgray 07-28-2009 05:51 PM

I think it comes in two widths - 22 inch and 45 inches -

dojo36 07-28-2009 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by The Babe

Originally Posted by dojo36

Have you tried this and know it works?

yes i have tried it and it definitely works