Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Iron without auto shutoff? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/iron-without-auto-shutoff-t257160.html)

NJ Quilter 11-22-2014 07:53 AM

In addition to my Rowenta's I have a EuroPro iron that I purchased at a quilt show years ago. No auto shutoff, huge amounts of steam (does require distilled water). It was expensive but it has been a great iron.

I agree with the suggestion of the iron plugged into the same source as your light. Myself, though, I always unplug my iron whenever I leave the area. I iron clothes as well, so have a couple of different areas where I iron things. As well as having animals. I'm always afraid that one of them will walk by a cord and pull the iron off it's surface and possibly turn it on. Thus unplugging each time. And my fireman DH really appreciates the habit!

Onebyone 11-22-2014 07:58 AM

Many of the older shut offs work on a level type thing. I took an iron apart and found it out how it works. Keep the nose of the iron pointed down, think sitting on a wedge, and the shut off won't come on.

Scakes 11-22-2014 08:06 AM

I don't like the auto shut off either. You can find them. Seems like my last one came from Walmart.

KenmoreGal2 11-22-2014 08:22 AM

So far I've gotten my irons used, at yard sales. They are so old they don't have auto shut off. I didn't even know it existed until recently. I unplug the iron completely when I am not using it.

katybob 11-22-2014 08:47 AM

I ordered this one from Amazon. It's my second one of this brand. I used the first one for years before it finally stopped heating up. http://www.amazon.com/Continental-El...ntinental+iron
It's a dry iron and doesn't have auto shutoff. I'm pretty sure I got the first one from Always Free Shipping.

NIICHMOM 11-22-2014 09:05 AM

I have dropped my iron so many times, I only use the heat no steam and I like it. Never really used steam when it worked. I like my iron but the heat gauge is unreadable... so have to guess where I want the setting. And then I have one from an aunt who passed, but that is on my big table(8x8) other room. I too have a routine when leaving a room. I count as I start turning things off or unplugging them. 1 machine, 2 music 3 iron 4 big light 5 laptop & 6 room light. If I miss a number I know I missed something. This is just my way of making sure things are OFF.

Boston1954 11-22-2014 09:20 AM

Mine is a Proctor Silex. Model 17135 Series A0890DA. It stays on as long as I need it to be.

kristijoy...mine is attached to a light also. So nice, as I get older I can forget stuff sometimes.

jcrow 11-22-2014 09:32 AM

I bought a dry iron from 'Country something'. I think someone here will know the magazine i'm talking about. it doesn't have auto shutoff. I also have a Reliable orange iron that you can override the shutoff. Someone else said they had it, too. The steam on that is absolutely crazy. I love it when I need steam.

But I bought one of those irons that have a separate tank for water and that's my favorite. The iron is light weight, which I love because my hand doesn't get tired if I'm ironing a bunch. It, of course, has no auto shutoff. I use this one all the time. It's a DeLonghi. You can get these kinds of irons (with separate tanks) on ebay for around $150. Mine has lasted for years.

Oh, I think the magazine I got the dry iron from is Country Store. Yep, that's it. i had a senior moment. Sorry.

nativetexan 11-22-2014 12:21 PM

sorry, it's not a Black and Decker. I knew that didn't sound right. Mine is a Hamilton Beach that wants to shut off when in use.

monopas 11-22-2014 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 6979482)
I bought a dry iron from 'Country something'. I think someone here will know the magazine i'm talking about. it doesn't have auto shutoff. I also have a Reliable orange iron that you can override the shutoff. Someone else said they had it, too. The steam on that is absolutely crazy. I love it when I need steam.

But I bought one of those irons that have a separate tank for water and that's my favorite. The iron is light weight, which I love because my hand doesn't get tired if I'm ironing a bunch. It, of course, has no auto shutoff. I use this one all the time. It's a DeLonghi. You can get these kinds of irons (with separate tanks) on ebay for around $150. Mine has lasted for years.

Oh, I think the magazine I got the dry iron from is Country Store. Yep, that's it. i had a senior moment. Sorry.

Vermont Country Store. They have all kinds of fun things.