Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ironing Board Covers... do you wash them or throw them away? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ironing-board-covers-do-you-wash-them-throw-them-away-t71432.html)

ghostrider 10-21-2010 07:35 PM

Brown stains?? :shock: I don't use starch, so mine stays clean and soft for ages. The quilting one is just plywood covered with batting for padding, a layer of the silver stuff and sailcloth over it all. Makes it much easier to iron large pieces of fabric.

mrsjdt 10-21-2010 08:22 PM

It's GONE!! With all the material I have, I make a new one. In this case, change is good (I think).

damaquilts 10-22-2010 03:31 AM

I made one. The cheap cotton ones just didn't cut it for me. And the silver ones are so cheap now. I used heavier fabric duck cloth I think and just added elastic. Its cream colored so I just slip it off when it gets dirty and wash it.
I stapled an old sheet to my big board so that one will have to be pulled apart to change. When I move I am going to see if I can make the set up permanent then I will make one I can take off and wash.

Crlyn 10-22-2010 03:33 AM

In the garbage for mine.

sewTinker 10-22-2010 03:35 AM

funny you should ask. I just bought a new one last night. Will put it on top of my old one.

Julie Baird 10-22-2010 03:38 AM

I use a lot of starch, both for piecing and machine applique.

I throw it out and replace it when it's disgusting. There's just something about having a nice, clean, new ironing board cover...makes me happy!

Marge L. 10-22-2010 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
I'm embarrassed to admit my ironing board and cover were wedding gifts--40 yrs ago!!!!! It was one of those silver heavy duty fabric (Prob had asbestos in it). I loved it cause it reflected the heat nicely. It finally got to the place where it was too stained and ripped around the edges. I searched high and low for a new--they were all light weight cotton with thin lining. I finally found one at Clothilde-it has the lines and measurements on it (which I don't use, not accurate) but it is thick canvas fabric and I kept my old one under it. I just couldn't throw it away LOL>

My ironing board was a wedding gift, also, nearly 65 yrs. ago. The cover has been replaced several times. Have often thought of getting an adjustable one, but those I have seen are so wobbly. Think I'll stick to my oldy as it's solid as a rock.

Peggi 10-22-2010 04:02 AM

speaking of ironing boards & covers- I bought the neatest small ironing board to go next to my machine at my quilting store the other day. Someone was brilliant enought to cover a folding table (like you buy in sets of 4) w/ padding & reg. ironing board cover, stapled in on. I paid $22.00 for it but talk about handy! Those folding tables are usually sold in sets of 4 for about $30.00. Neat idea tho' cause it folds flat when I don't need it.

ckelly 10-22-2010 04:20 AM

Why don't you make one? I've been making my own, out of much prettier fabrics, for years!

damaquilts 10-22-2010 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Peggi
speaking of ironing boards & covers- I bought the neatest small ironing board to go next to my machine at my quilting store the other day. Someone was brilliant enought to cover a folding table (like you buy in sets of 4) w/ padding & reg. ironing board cover, stapled in on. I paid $22.00 for it but talk about handy! Those folding tables are usually sold in sets of 4 for about $30.00. Neat idea tho' cause it folds flat when I don't need it.

you mean like a TV table? What a neat idea