Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ironing board that does not wobble (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ironing-board-does-not-wobble-t66662.html)

moreland 09-26-2010 05:15 PM

I found a sturdy board at the Salvation Army store--it is a l950's model--one of the early adjustable boards. It is heavier than the new ones, but it is a great board. It cost $2.50. My grandson attached an antique over-sized wood ironing board to it. I paid a lot more for the wood ironing board (no legs--they used to lay them across two chair backs)but it came from an antique store. I just like the idea of the old board and often wonder what else has been ironed on it in years past.

girardgirl61 09-26-2010 05:28 PM

I have a Rowenta, or rather my husband does. He always ironed his shirts and is so picky that he searched for a good one. It is extra wide and really is nice. Sure glad he didn't find the Reliant or he would have had to have it. I do enjoy it too, and is really nice and flat, no indention in the middle.

penski 09-26-2010 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I bought a super size ironing board at Walmart. It has the four individual legs and it never wobbles. It has a rack underneath it and a iron caddy on the end. It takes up more room then the average board though. I noticed it was $47 just last week at Walmart.

i just bought one of those yesterday at Walmart!!

galvestonangel 09-26-2010 06:40 PM

I am so glad you asked this question, because I have had the same problem. Mine also wobbles on carpet. I was going to put a heavier, bigger top on it but now I think I will go to Target for a new one.

chamby 09-27-2010 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by aardvarq
Chris - Could you post a pic and explain what your DH did to make the Big Board?

If you do a search there are several pictures of Big Boards and I remember a couple that explained how they made theirs.[/quote]

Hey,

LockEb (I think?) and I have both posted how tos.

Here is a link to my tutorial document as an attachment.

Aardie.[/quote]

Oh wow, I just love this. I will have to see if I can talk my DH into making one of these for me. If not I will just have to make it myself.

rosalia856 09-27-2010 06:19 AM

I had one like the picture. My hubby put a brace across the legs It helped but you could not take it down. I then remembered that I had my grandmother's . It was brought doing the late 50's and early 60's with PC couponds that were brought when you brought your groceries at Loblows. It is so well made. I then lucked out to get one that belonged to my girlfriends m-i-l It is really neat. You can use it as a square or fold the ends down to make a regular ironing board. I then found one for my quilting teacher at a yard sale for two dollars. I suggest you check out flea markets and auctions. Good luck

marveenc 09-27-2010 05:03 PM

Hi,

I just bit the $$$ bullet and bought a Polder ironing board at Best Buy (used my 20% off coupon to bring the price down!). It is sturdy, extra wide, and doesn't wobble. There are several extra features: an iron holder, a cord clip, a shelf for ironed/ready to iron clothes, etc. and a long, long cord.

Gather up all those birthday, Christmas, and Mother's Day (and Father's Day too) gifts and do yourself a big favor. And no, I do
not get any commissions for the seller or the manufacturer (*grin*).

Marveen
in Balmy Tucson, AZ

mudsprite 09-27-2010 08:09 PM

Back in the day, ironing boards used to have a much wider pipe bottom. We used to take off the caps and fill the pipe feet with sand and replace the end caps with a spot of glue.

I appreciate the tips for different boards which I will check out as my old board is almost beyond help but after 40 years I think I have had a wonderful board for my $20.!

zz-pd 09-27-2010 08:49 PM

my iron board is about 20 years old, and in bad shape, I was looking at Iron boards, but they are to expensive for me. God bless.,

np3 09-27-2010 08:59 PM

Mine wobbles too. Guess I'm going to check out this other design. I've tipped over my iron a time or two...