Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ironing board by machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ironing-board-machine-t64497.html)

amma 09-13-2010 10:34 AM

Thank you for sharing your tip :D:D:D

gramabiese 09-13-2010 10:49 AM

Years ago I had a quilter tell me to take an empty fabric board and cover it with a prequilted fabric and sew a handle on one end. Works great for going to quilting groups.

raptureready 09-13-2010 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by sosew4fun
At a recent mtg saw this & it works great! Purchase a wooden
tv Tray at Walmart for $9.00 or less, cover it with batting and
a piece of fabric. Staple it tightly to the back and WaHoo!! an
ironing board small and just the right height for the side of your
machine. Folds flat for storage and when the cover gets dirty
easy to pull off and redo.

Or find one at the local Goodwill for $5 or less. Sometimes at garage sales for $1. Mine's covered with several layers of felt and it's own little custom made "fitted sheet"

sjhughson 09-13-2010 11:57 AM

Ummm. It's really healthier to get up and walk across the room to iron. Truely and PT will tell you you need to move and I keep my big board (DH MADE IT) across the room for this very reason. Otherwise we might get applique bottoms. LOL

quiltmaker 09-13-2010 12:44 PM

[quote=Charleen DiSante]does your ironing board not raise up and down? Mine is adjustable so I can put it level with my sewing or cutting area.

This is exactly what I do.

sosew4fun 09-13-2010 01:34 PM

Yes, my ironing board does go up and down, I keep it in another room for "big " jobs but like the small one beside the
machine for quick seams etc.Doesn't take up table room and folds flat to store. Also hve another sewing rm in
basement with an ironing bd there that is usually at machine
height.. Ok, the secret is out.. I have stuff everywhere! A friend
told me my house would look bigger is I didn't hve a sewing
machine in every room.

gramabiese 09-17-2010 05:22 AM

love all the info here. And I agree getting up and moving to iron is a healthy thing to do. But I was at a convention this week and talked to some immobilized women who said it was so hard for them to get their wheelchairs from the sewing machine to the ironing board as the board was too large to fit by their machine. So I shared your thoughts about the padded TV tray. They all said to tell you all Thank You So Much for making their lives easier and more productive. So kudos to all of you. Sharing is such a wonderful thing.

sumcoop 09-17-2010 05:28 AM

When I am paper piecing I use an old typing table that is metal and an ironing pad with my mini iron...right by the sewing machine...its on rollers...I also have a small cutting mat there with it.

Kitsie 09-17-2010 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by sjhughson
Ummm. It's really healthier to get up and walk across the room to iron. Truely and PT will tell you you need to move and I keep my big board (DH MADE IT) across the room for this very reason. Otherwise we might get applique bottoms. LOL

Yes, and I MAKE myself do that, too. It's just on the other side of a kitchen table. Find it also doesn't "torque" my back with twisting to the side.