Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I've got something on my mind (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ive-got-something-my-mind-t21738.html)

k3n 06-24-2009 10:03 AM

I've used it and I nearly always hand quilt - no problem! And if someone said that to me - I do it ON PURPOSE just to prove them wrong! Never say never! I agree that it's so stable it's like a blanket - hardly distorts at all. And gives a lovely, soft antiquey finish to the quilt.

mimee4 06-24-2009 10:22 AM

Like you, Cathe, I use a finger cot to help pull the needle through. Our quilt group used mostly Warm and Natural. Quilt police, be gone!

bearpaw 06-24-2009 10:42 AM

I'm wondering what the demonstrator was demonstrating? Another type of batting? I've hand quilted with it and thought it was fine.

Ninnie 06-24-2009 10:53 AM

I only hand quilt and I only use Warm and Natural. I have no trouble with the needle, I use a #12 or #10. I also use a little rubber pullie thingy!

I love the finished feel and the softness and the old fashioned look and can't imagine what that woman was talking about! It washes up so well and soft!

k3n 06-24-2009 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ninnie
I only hand quilt and I only use Warm and Natural. I have no trouble with the needle, I use a #12 or #10. I also use a little rubber pullie thingy!

I love the finished feel and the softness and the old fashioned look and can't imagine what that woman was talking about! It washes up so well and soft!

And I'm more inclined to listen to YOU, Ninnie - hand quilter extraordinaire! :D

ghostrider 06-25-2009 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
I heard a demonstrator telling some ladies that they should never try to hand quilt using Warm and Natural batting.... I feel I should have said something to her.

Any speaker who has the ability to influence the thinking of others on any subject because of their knowledge, experience or circumstance, should know never to say never. If she had simply said it is better not to do such-and-such and this is the reason why, you would not have been upset and this reaction, which is the exact opposite of what the demonstrator wanted, would never have happened. She shot herself in the foot just by saying never.

Susan F 06-25-2009 06:13 AM

I hand quilt and use w&n. Did she give a reason for her statement?

Cathe 06-25-2009 10:28 AM

Could she just have been talking about beginners learning to hand quilt for the first time? As in "a beginner should never use warm and natural (for the first project)"

Because when I teach hand quilting classes, I do have the students use a thin poly batting for their learning piece. I like to make it as easy as possible for them when they are learning.

Skeat 06-29-2009 09:59 AM

I also use warm and natural on everything!:)I'm sure their point is it is easier to get that needle thru w/that poly stuff...can't remember what it is called. But I don't like the feel of the poly batting when the quilt is done. The warm and natural just have such a great feeling to it when the quilts are done either by machine or hand. Besides....You should have stopped and shown these gals your biceps and told them you don't have a problem getting that needle thru:)LOL Now, that would have been a great camera moment!LOL Skeat

Skeat 06-29-2009 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cathe
Could she just have been talking about beginners learning to hand quilt for the first time? As in "a beginner should never use warm and natural (for the first project)"

Because when I teach hand quilting classes, I do have the students use a thin poly batting for their learning piece. I like to make it as easy as possible for them when they are learning.

Great point Cathe!:)I hadn't even thought of that! And, yes, my first one was on that poly batting ...SKeat