Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome 49360 from HSN (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-49360-hsn-t216913.html)

Lori S 03-21-2013 07:50 AM

Good to hear this machine did not disappoint. I always wonder about the machines sold via the television if they are as good as they make them seem.

BellaBoo 03-21-2013 07:59 AM

The great thing about HSN is you can use it for 30 days and return it if there is a problem. No hassle returns. Just save the box and packing info. A dealer won't let you do that without trying to fix the problem until the return window is closed.

owlvamp 03-21-2013 07:59 AM

I might have to look at it. I need a new machine desperately ... Just not a lot of funds so might look into a used one.

Chambray 03-21-2013 09:47 AM

Yes...enjoy your Janome! Hubby made a good choice.:thumbup: I got a Janome Magnolia 7330 in January and I love it!!!

Girlfriend 03-21-2013 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by unicorn53 (Post 5943665)
Any machine can make a thread nest when starting. If you find that yur machine produces these, a simple fix is to hold onto your threads when you start and it won't happen. You only need to hold for a couple of stitches when starting a seam. :-)

Hi Unicorn! Thank you for your response. There's nothing to hold onto because it has an automatic thread cutter and the bobbin thread would be too difficult to try to pull out to hold onto. With all this technology, it can complicate things too much sometimes. LOL.

Girlfriend 03-21-2013 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5943328)
A guild member ordered one and she loves it. It sews very quietly. She uses 70wt bobbin thread and 50 wt 2 ply top thread with a size 80 needle for piecing. I always ask about thread/needle when someone gets a new machine and has no complaints.

BellaBoo, you raise an interesting idea. What is 70 weight thread, and is the 80 needle a universal? I believe Aurifil is 50 wt and 2 ply. I love Aurifil thread...I've never thought of using a different bobbin thread to correct tension problems.

I am definitely going to take the needle out and look at it with a magnifying glass to try to determine what kind and size it is. And thanks for the 30 day return policy, didn't know that either.

Thanks for the information.

esardi 03-22-2013 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Girlfriend (Post 5944734)
Hi Unicorn! Thank you for your response. There's nothing to hold onto because it has an automatic thread cutter and the bobbin thread would be too difficult to try to pull out to hold onto. With all this technology, it can complicate things too much sometimes. LOL.

I use starters and enders whenever I can. No birdsnests.

justflyingin 03-22-2013 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by esardi (Post 5947305)
I use starters and enders whenever I can. No birdsnests.

I was going to say that as well--that is why so many people use starters and enders. It eliminates the problem totally. I have a Janome 7700 and I use leaders and enders at times.

baslp 03-23-2013 03:13 AM

I also bought this machine to take to classes since it is so light. I did not want to take my Horizon.

shamrock 03-23-2013 05:50 AM

I also purchased the 49360, haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet, but everything so far is great. I found threads on here referring to it, and HSN has a video you can play. It was their show stopper or whatever during craft week.