Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome vs Bernina sewing machine? Help!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-vs-bernina-sewing-machine-help-t192865.html)

happinessbears 06-26-2012 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by JT (Post 5319564)
I'm a Janome user. I bought the 3160 QDC last year for sew days with friends and classes. I've had the 6500 - great machine, traded up to the 7700. I have not been disappointed with any of the Janome's I've owned. Currently on #4 and #5. If I were young, just starting out, the 3160 would be my choice. Big enough to do about anything, but light enough to take anywhere. Cost...about $500 - $600. Check with a Janome dealer for a used one for less, or a floor model (lightly used and fully warranteed). Good luck!

Great! Usually how much cheaper are floor models?

Mitch's mom 06-27-2012 02:10 AM

If it were me (which thankfully you are not because you would NEVER do something so devious :eek:) I would tell my Grandmother I want a Janome because I like hers so much and I have heard great things about the new models they have brought out. When you get to the store talk your grandmother into upgrading and giving you her current machine!

Mary O 06-27-2012 02:20 AM

A good solid machine,weighs more =better parts.Bernina

sandy l 06-27-2012 03:17 AM

Check out the Janome. Good machine, decent pricing.

twoxover 06-27-2012 03:24 AM

may i throw another thought into the mix? first, please do consider a used machine. lots of times people buy them and never really use them. for christmas this past year, i bought my daughter-age 18, a used pfaff hobby 1016 off of ebay. i think, with shipping, i paid $70-. it's not a super fancy machine...but it was a pfaff made in europe and has a wonderful stitch quality to it. from all appearences, the machine was never really used. came with all accessories and attachments that were with it when sold new....

so, i think if you do some careful shopping, you might score a really good deal. and then, if there is any $ left over, maybe your grandparents will put it towards some sewing supplies/fabric/ect. what do you think? and best of luck to you---love hearing about teens sewing. would love for you to post some pics of what you have made!

betsey

Battle Axe 06-27-2012 03:29 AM

I vote for a Bernina. You can get a used one on eBay. I had four!! Bernina 1020. It was the last mechanical machine before they got into computers. What I loved about it was that is would sew sick. If there was something going wrong with it, it would still sew when all the other would quit. I had Elna, Janome, Singer, Kenmore, even a White. But then I bought a computerized Bernina and hated it.

Marcia

BeverlyH 06-27-2012 03:33 AM

l love my Bernina and have had it for probably 30 years.

ohstr 06-27-2012 04:24 AM

I have a Jamone 6600 and I am very pleased with the machine. It has done everything and more that I have asked of it. I love my Janome. It is a tough decision to make - which is why I spent a good deal of time talking with other quilters and the majority favored the Janome machines.

Good Luck

mummadee 06-27-2012 04:41 AM

I faced the same dilemma, Janome or Bernina and went with the Janome. Never been sorry, except that a dealer is 45 minutes away. I would have considered a Viking if that dealer had been available at that time. A good dealer is a very important asset. I have a Viking serger and am always at the dealer asking questions and having problems solved. But I sure do love my Janome.

Raggiemom 06-27-2012 04:41 AM

I have 3 Janomes and love them all. I think it's hard to advise you which particular one to buy. You should go and look at the machines and decide which features you absolutely must have and which ones aren't important to you. Good luck and let us know what you decide.