Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome vs Bernina sewing machine? Help!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-vs-bernina-sewing-machine-help-t192865.html)

lonestardreams 06-27-2012 04:42 AM

Happiness Bears-
Congratulations on your decision to buy a machine. It's wonderful that you have discovered how exciting sewing can be

I can tell by your post that you will end up with a great machine. Each of us has preferences and that's what will matter to you- your preferences

I have a Bernina and a Brother. The Bernina is a small machine, great for taking to classes. When I was in the market for something bigger, I had a large Bernina in mind. While I visited my dealer, I tried that machine, then a Janome and then the Brother. I fell in love with the Brother.

I tell you all this not to suggest any machine but to agree with those that have suggested that you try different machines, check on used machines and get a feel for what you would like to be sewing on for many years. I had never considered a Brother before trying the one I ended up with. You might find what you like just by trying as many as you can. I also agree that a good dealer, close by, that can service your machine is very important.

Whatever you choose, let us know, post photos of it and your projects. Have a great time choosing your machine and then stitching away.

alleyoop1 06-27-2012 04:43 AM

If you can visit a Bernina shop and a Janome shop - then do it! Try out their machines. See what reconditioned machines they have that might fit your price range. Don't take our word for it, try them out yourself.

Donna H-M 06-27-2012 04:47 AM

I'm a Janome user and love all mine. I see that there are many models that are reasonably priced. I do recommend getting one with the needle up/down feature. To me that is a must have :) Also, not a small machine, sounds like youi need more room in the harp space. Good luck in choosing a machine and I think it's wonderful that you are such a seamstress at your age. Your family must be proud of you!

ka9sdn 06-27-2012 04:47 AM

I agree with alleyoop1. Find the dealers, try out all the various machines in your price range. Take your own fabric to the shop to try out on--they usually use a stiff starched kind that may not show you what the sewing is like on a fabric you may use. Plan on spending some time trying them out but it really does count. Be sure they offer repair services and maybe they even offer classes. I prefer the Janome's but Bernina is great too but more expensive. Take your time and really enjoy.

annthreecats 06-27-2012 05:18 AM

Sounds like you have gotten a bunch of good advice. I love Bernina's too, but I could not have afforded one if one was not given to me by a friend.

Just wanted to show you this auction on ebay. I've never seen this model of Bernina before.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FuNkY-retro-...item4604ff313b

Jackie Spencer 06-27-2012 05:18 AM

I have a Bernina and a Janome also. For the money you have to spend I would go with the Janome, mine is a 3050DC and I love it.

granny216 06-27-2012 05:47 AM

I have Juki and Janome. Never had a Bernina as only a few people I know have one. They aren't too happy with them either but the cost keeps them with their machines.

romanojg 06-27-2012 05:55 AM

I'm a big lover of Vikings; old and new ones but if I was to chose from Bernias or Janome it would be with the Janome hands down. I've always like them plus the fact that I don't care for the Bernia dealer that we have here. If you are dealing with a dealer you need to consider that as well and really should try several machines to see what is a good fit for you. I'm so glad that I went with the viking. Do not go for bernette, it is not a bernina and they don't support it.

lfw045 06-27-2012 05:57 AM

Definitely a Janome! I bought my daughter one and want one myself!

marymm 06-27-2012 06:08 AM

My Janome Platinum has been a real workhorse. I have four Janomes and bought my granddaughter one for Christmas--so you can tell i'm a big fan! I take my Platinum with me everywhere, especially to my bee friends' homes. it has lots of neat stitches and an easy buttonhole, but, more important, some good features (like needle-down) that the Jem doesn't. I've had mine a few years so maybe you can find a good used one. (I keep the Jem for occasions when a bee member at my house needs to borrow one for whatever reason. It is really good small machine.)