Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just curious, quilting website questions..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-curious-quilting-website-questions-t183478.html)

nhweaver 03-22-2012 05:51 AM

All of the above, but I find that too many ads from other companies on a quilt site turn me off. I appreciate timely updating of available fabric, online BOM clubs, competitively priced fabric and reasonable shipping. I know packing is costly, but when I see a notion that I must have, it isn't the price of the notion but get turned off by outrageous shipping. A handy hint area with screened contributions from customers would be unique.

I also like pictures of completed blocks or projects using patterns from books. Gasoline is getting costly, and a trip to the closest LQS costs me almost $6.

inspectorcmm 03-22-2012 06:45 AM

It's the kind of quilt blocks they show, and fabric selection

thepolyparrot 03-22-2012 06:56 AM

Ease of navigation, fast page-loading
Everything in the store organized logically, as in a real store.
Fabric sorted by manufacturer and line, other items sorted by type - pins all together, Thread Heaven and thimbles together, scissors and snippers together, etc.
Good selection, latest products - "New Products" category is helpful for frequent visitors
Ease of placing an order
Estimated shipping date and delivery date provided at time of order
Prices not out of line - if everyone else is selling a product for $22 and one site has it for $32, I tend to assume that all their stock is likewise overpriced and I leave the site.

colleen1978 03-22-2012 09:11 AM

When I visit a site...

I am looking for reasonable prices and shipping, quality, and I like freebies such as patterns, quilt labels or computer wallpaper featuring fabrics I like. I also like the sites with design boards so that I can see my choices against each other. When you are scrolling through lots of fabric, it's hard to keep them all straight and know what looks good together.

Elaine433 03-22-2012 09:13 AM

The first thing I look for is an easy to navigate site. If it is too slow loading or just a confusing site, I leave and go no further. If I can get around easily, I look for the type of fabrics that I like as far as style, colors, manufacture. Then I look at price. If all these things are good, I look at their shipping charge. If even that looks good, they have a new customer.
If it doesn't look good, I move on. There are just too many stores out there carrying the same exact fabrics. I am probably fussy but I believe that with my money I can pick and choose where I want to shop.

urgodschild2 03-22-2012 02:55 PM

You have to be able to navigate the pages in an easy manner. that is very important to me. Then I look for all the other things everyone else has suggested. But if I can't navigate the pages easily....I go to another site.

penski 03-22-2012 05:51 PM

i will shop online if the prices are good ,the shipping is reasonable , if it is something at cant get at my local quilt shop , and there website is secure and easy to checkout and see all there products

chuckbere15 03-22-2012 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by sewhappy_5 (Post 5076526)
I am curious, what attracts you to quilting supplies websites? Is it prices? What they have to offer? What do you like to see on those websites? I am doing some marketing research and appreciate any input the pros here have to offer!

Price, selection, demos, ease of use to the site. Shipping vs. picking it up at a store.

taciage 03-23-2012 08:11 AM

I find the online shops most helpful when the LQS only has part of I line I want to use or has sold out a fabric that really is needed in the quilt. I prefer the sites that are easy to navigate and have a good search engine. I don't ever stay on a site that I can't use a search to find something specific.

jcrow 03-23-2012 09:07 AM

I also shop online and at LQSs. But my LQS aren't that close. Two are 1/2 hour away, two more 1 hour, 2 more 1 1/2 hour. But one shop gives me 15% off for driving so far. Also, when I go to the LQS I always spend my money there. But I also spend my money online at FQS. I love that shop. (Fat Quarter Shop) Their presentation of their fabric is wonderful. I never want to open up the wrapped up fabric because it looks so beautiful. I also shop on ebay when I can't find a fabric and sometimes at thousands of bolts. I'll type in the fabric I'm looking for in my search engine and up will pop quite a few online places that I then go to to find what I need.