Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just how much? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-how-much-t65515.html)

kapatt 09-19-2010 05:50 AM

I buy 2 and if it really sings to me(and I have the money), I buy 3 or 4 yards.

MommaDorian 09-19-2010 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by OneMoreQuilt
I often buy by the bolt. If I really like the fabric I want to be sure I'd have enough for the main fabric in a quilt and maybe enough for the backing. I use alot of neutrals and blenders too. I have purchased smaller pieces as I like scrap quilts as well. OK I'll confess.....I'm addicted and I buy it all.

Do they actually measure the whole bolt out for you? Or do they have a set price?

dkabasketlady 09-19-2010 06:02 AM

I usually buy 2-3 yds., but will buy more if I really love it and I have the money. I do have a lot of 1yd. pieces and remnants because I like to do scrappy quilts. Buy what you want and CAN AFFORD at the time.

heather1949 09-19-2010 06:05 AM

I usually buy 1 metre and heaps of 6 inch squares, lol yep in Australia I am, and a metre is a bit more than yours.
My motto is if you like it and have the money go for it.
Heather.

dphelps 09-19-2010 06:07 AM

I usually buy at least 2 yards but if it will be a backing, enough to make the back (5-6). Sometimes, whatever the size remnant.

LadybugPam 09-19-2010 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by SherriB
And a quick question. What is considered a blender fabric?

Blenders fabric are the "solid" colors you need between the focus or busier fabric prints for a rest. And I "quote" solid, because I rarely buy solids. I get the tone on tone fabric that looks solid in a distance.

Honey 09-19-2010 07:46 AM

If it is something that I really like, I buy at least 3 yards, sometimes more. I'd rather have some left over than to try to find it.

littlehud 09-19-2010 07:48 AM

I buy two yards if I like it. 3-4 if I love it. And if it shouts to me across the fabric store 5-7.

Bev 09-19-2010 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by jridner1
Ok I'm a collector at this point, working on becoming a begining quilter. Since I've found this wonderful site, with amazing people and ideas, I'm ready to make the jump from fat 1/4's to yardage! Just how many yards do you buy if you see a fabric you like, that is a great deal, but don't have a spacific quilt pattern in mind?

I usually buy a yard if I'm just thinking I could use it but can't think how just yet. But if I can think, at that moment, of how I'll be using it, I buy as much as I think I'll need. A lot of times, if it's on sale, and I really, really like it I'll buy a lot. Maybe whatever is left on the bolt, or maybe 3 or 4 yards.
Does this make sense to anyone but me?

Joan 09-19-2010 08:12 AM

When I started quilting (not that long ago, I might add), I usually bought a yard of fabric.

The longer I quilt, though, the more I purchase.

Now, two yards is usually my choice. It is awful to run out of a particular fabric and not be able to find it anywhere...... :cry:

(and if I really like a fabric design, color, etc, I may just use it in another project, too......)