Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is it just me or........? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-me-t106684.html)

quiltgran2 03-11-2011 07:34 AM

I enjoy searching for fabrics for a specific project. I find it exciting when I come up with various combinations that I think will work and then finally choose the one that I'll go with. I've made a few projects from kits and silly as it seems, I never have the sense that the quilt is all "mine". I acknowledge that the professionals probably do a much better job of choosing fabrics than I, but I still prefer to shop for my own.

AngieS 03-11-2011 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by kateyb
I do buy fat quarters. It gives me more variety for some things. But I can pick them out myself. The others I can cut myself from the leftovers of other quilts. Then they are colors and fabrics I like plus why pay the extra for someone else to cut them up.

At our shop I can buy a 1/4 of a yard cheaper than the fat quarter......so I have started doing that! You get more of the fabric plus it's cheaper. :D

BellaBoo 03-11-2011 07:35 AM

Pre cuts may cost more then buying yardage but I don't mind that. The cuts are all co ordinated and I buy solid pre cuts to have on hand to go with any of the print pre cuts. I have Turnovers, Jelly Rolls, Honey Buns, Charms, Layer Cakes, and the new Candy Bars. I like the way they look filling baskets in my sewing room. I see them and feel like I do when I'm in a quilt shop. Pre cuts are fun. I can grab a few and go to a sewday and start sewing. I use the precuts a lot to cut other shapes using the Go die cut machine.

Debd 03-11-2011 07:38 AM

I'm trying my first quilt with charms, a Card trick using two different packs. So far all is working well, and I like the fact that there is a lot of variety in the quilt because of the charm packs. We'll see how much I like it after I wash it, the one concern I have!

joyce888 03-11-2011 07:52 AM

I agree with you. I want to see what I'm getting and I don't like the pinked edges. So many times I don't care for the entire line and I don't think all the fabrics go together (jmo).

Crafty Darlene 03-11-2011 08:04 AM

I love precuts especially jelly rolls. But of course I'm a newbie. I only buy them when they are on sale. Charm packs work really well when you are doing a D9P.

KwiltyKahy 03-11-2011 08:32 AM

Me too, they always seem to stick something inthere I don't like.

Originally Posted by seamstome
I dont really like buying the pre-cuts because there are always fabrics I dont like.

ggreenridley 03-11-2011 09:03 AM

I'm with you.

BKrenning 03-11-2011 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Cindy2sew
I cant bring myself to use charms, honey buns, turnovers,...you get the idea, pre-cut fabric.
I guess I am a control freak. Anything that takes the process out of my hands makes me uncomfortable. Also not having 'free-rein' with my own fabric choices bothers me.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

I'm not a control freak but I am a tightwad. I don't even purchase Fat Quarters unless they are on clearance. I can use pre-cuts if they are given to me but I can't let go of my hard earned cash to pay fir them.

tweezy50 03-11-2011 09:29 AM

I feel that would be like buying a paint by number kit and having someone else paint half the numbers first and then I dinish it. Just not the same.