Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is it just me or........? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-me-t106684.html)

Lori J 03-11-2011 10:20 AM

I love jelly rolls. You might check into the books written just for 2 1/2 inch strips. Connecting Threads has two of my favorites! "Scrap Basket Surprises" and "Scrap Basket Sensations" Right now they are 30% off. The great thing about precuts is that you get the whole line of a fabric without having to buy the yardage. I love them but they are addictive....

BJ SewKkrazzy 03-11-2011 10:27 AM

I might buy some fat quarters of fabrics I can't find in the store...but I don't buy any that are prebundled-whatever you call them!!! Lately, I have been buying 1/4 yard of fabric cut at the store, and I feel I save money...but yardage-rarely...I don't need such big pieces of fabric to do crazy quilts!
That's why there are Sane quilters and Crazies!
BJ

jljack 03-11-2011 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by SueDor
Same here. I feel as if I am paying for someone else to cut the material. Plus I want to see the material before I buy it

Yes, I don't buy many pre-cuts, but I do buy charm squares. They are so handy to use in small projects like runners and table toppers, and if I wanted all the fabrics I would have to spend $$$$$$$!!!! I don't buy any of the others, though. I'll cut my own, thanks!! :thumbup:

KS quilter 03-11-2011 10:38 AM

Never bought any. They always facinate me when I see them
in my LQS. But, I most always make large (queen or king) quilts, and I need more yardage, unless it's a scrap quilt
and I have plenty of those in my stash and like picking and
matching from there what I want to use.

SueSew 03-11-2011 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
I'm just too cheap. I think I figured out the per yard price once and it was crazy. Like 3X the price of yardage! I couldn't justify it in my mind. Besides I adore the process I have with fabric. Bring it home. Admire it. Pre wash it then fall in love with it all over again while ironing it, muttering to my self how much I love this fabric then seeing what I have already in my stash to go with it to see if I want to set it aside for a project or just put it into stash. So no, you are not the only one. The closest I come to buying precuts is FQ bundles and only when on a closeout sale price.

You forgot the part when you panic and get up to look at it again (FYI 3AM is not a good time for clear color comparisons!) because you are worried it might not have been the RIGHT one...or one fabric makes you change your mind and launch you on a whole new design or project LOL ...it is also cheaper than paying someone to cut if for you :)

Lucy90 03-11-2011 11:16 AM

I have used charms to make a quick quilt and bought fabric to go with for borders. Charms packs give a good variety of the fabric line and I can't afford to buy all fabrics and most quilt shops don't have all so then a person has to order on line. I also have used jelly rolls and I didn't mind them put prefer charms if buying pre cuts.

Cathy M 03-11-2011 11:23 AM

I like buying the pre-cuts just to have a 'sample' of all the fabrics in the line. Then I can pick out the ones I want to go with my current project. It's too bad that not every manufacturer sells these. Just my two cents worth.

JudyMN 03-11-2011 11:30 AM

Amen!

Connie in CO 03-11-2011 11:44 AM

I like buying yardages.But like the Twisters,having the same collections.I made a Purse with Charms,it takes 17 to make it.Jelly Rolls i think cost to much.Connie in CO

pab58 03-11-2011 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
I like to touch them but have a hard time using them. To me the charms are like trading cards without the bubblegum :)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :lol: