Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just not hungry... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-not-hungry-t286838.html)

rryder 03-16-2017 09:16 AM

Once I switched to using my cutting table to sandwich and using 505 I found that I really don't mind.

Rob

DeltaMS 03-16-2017 11:08 AM

Patricia, thanks for mentioning Sharon Schamber. I looked her up on YouTube and learned something new. She said you could use her technique with any size quilt. I don't think I could lift the boards on a large quilt. She said the boards need to be larger than the backing. I might try it on a smaller quilt in the future.

Stitchnripper 03-16-2017 12:22 PM

I don't mind at all since I switched to Elmers washable school glue. Goes very fast and I've never had a ripple to worry about.

dunster 03-16-2017 01:58 PM

It's amazing to me how many frame quilters, myself included, made the switch because we hated basting the quilt sandwich.

Patricia Drew 03-16-2017 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by DeltaMS (Post 7785396)
Patricia, thanks for mentioning Sharon Schamber. I looked her up on YouTube and learned something new. She said you could use her technique with any size quilt. I don't think I could lift the boards on a large quilt. She said the boards need to be larger than the backing. I might try it on a smaller quilt in the future.

Hi Lisa, The boards are not really that heavy, even after you've rolled up the top or the backing. My boards are: 2.5 in. x 3/4 in. x 8 ft. long. I work on a makeshift table in the basement. It consists of two sheets of plywood taped together and supported by saw horses. After the top is rolled up, I sort of push it to the back of the table,I don't actually lift it. Then I work on the backing. When both boards are rolled up, I position them in place without actually lifting them completely off the table.

Your idea of trying the method on a smaller quilt is a good one. I'm sure you'll like it.

Jingle 03-16-2017 04:08 PM

I love everything about quilting. I sandwiched two small quilts today. I sometimes make two and quilt them one after another. I will totally finish these two before I start any more. Donating these quilts and more to kids that must be removed from their homes.

Becky's Crafts 03-16-2017 04:32 PM

I used to pin baste my quilt sandwiches & having a really painful back, it was not fun! I'm always looking for ways to make things easier. Now that I've found June Taylor spray baste which I can use in the same room as my bird without any problems, & I've learned to use a long cardboard tube from a roll of poly batting to roll the layers slowly as I spray the fabrics/batting, it's now a quick & simple project & I don't dread it any more. I sandwich it, let it dry over night and quilt without a problem. No dodging pins, it stays together even when I squabble it up to push it through the machine as I'm quilting & now I love everything about quilting!! :-)

MadQuilter 03-16-2017 08:02 PM

I always believed that I "HATED" making the sandwich so I have TONS of unquilted tops in a pile. Recently I came to terms with my fear of Free-motion Quilting and I am now doing much better in the quilting department. As soon as I overcame that fear, I was just rearing to get going and to do so I needed a sandwich. I had that puppy basted in no time flat. Turns out that I was using the dislike of making the sandwich as an excuse to keep me from quilting.

Annaquilts 03-16-2017 11:21 PM

That is why I ended up with a longarm.

jmoore 03-17-2017 03:27 AM

It's not my favorite part of the quilting process, but I know I'm almost there when it comes to sandwich...I love the feeling of finishing a quilt.