Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Latest obsession is (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/latest-obsession-t222574.html)

GrannieAnnie 05-31-2013 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 6095816)
Don't forget to check out the estate sales, especially where they have big girl and big guy sizes. I got an old sundress (cotton) for $2.00 (size 22) and couple of blouses for $1.00 ea. Almost 9 yds of fabric.. Then at night I get out the seam ripper while watching TV. I save every piece. I've reused zippers on other items or trade with a neighbor. My neighbor crochets. She goes after yarn pieces. We trade because if we see something either of us can use we get it and trade. So much fun.

Oh, and I got a big sack full of yarn------------most skeins were close to full.

Will use on my newest way to waste time. I'm going to mix yarn and narrow strips of fabric to knit something. Maybe squares about 12" square. I find it hard to crochet with UN-STRETCHY fabric

GrannieAnnie 05-31-2013 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 (Post 6096051)
I just spent $24 at a local charity thrift store on slightly used top sheets. I will be able to make at least 20 Princess Pillowcase dresses out of them. Most people must be like my husband who refuses to sleep under a top sheet. I always find a few of them everytime I go to that store. I stay away from the ones that are mostly polyester. The ones that have just a little are good because they look good after laundering without having to be ironed.

Yep, I find sheets that are barely used. Once in a great while, I'll find a brand spanking new sheet.

Geri B 05-31-2013 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 6093731)
I leave my Husband at home when I shop, unless I want something from Home Depot or Lowe's.
I have lots of dust collectors, getting most in cabinets or stored away. Let my Daughter and Granddaughter decide what to do with them when I'm gone.

Same here except I now know no one wants any of these "collections"so I am going to sell them and enjoy spending the money myself!

JanieH 05-31-2013 02:11 PM

Sounds like fun and a great way to feed your habit! Good luck on your hunts!

Bamagal 05-31-2013 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by willferg (Post 6093657)
I'm excited – it could be lots of old, smelly calicos, or it could be a gold mine. Such is the thrill of the hunt!

I love the old calicos!! Throw them my way!! Have fun!!

KathyPhillips 05-31-2013 04:35 PM

I love this too!!

bennie0755 05-31-2013 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 6096244)
Oh, and I got a big sack full of yarn------------most skeins were close to full.

Will use on my newest way to waste time. I'm going to mix yarn and narrow strips of fabric to knit something. Maybe squares about 12" square. I find it hard to crochet with UN-STRETCHY fabric

Me too! I picked up 17 skeins of the same color yarn at a local "antique" store for $5. I'm making baby blankets for the church. I've just started quilting, and don't have much of a "stash", but I did find some fabric that had been intended for square dance dresses that are going to become quilts!

Noiseynana 05-31-2013 05:41 PM

You go girl !!!!

janeknapp 06-01-2013 05:09 AM

I shopped thrift stores looking for wool garments to cut apart, wash in hot water/cold rinse w/detergent to felt, and then use for wool applique. There were great bargains as two chains of thrift shops have quarter day each week in my area. I rarely go now as my wool stash is adequate. I had so much that I started a wool group and shared my stash with those members. Re-use and re-purpose are wonderful goals.

sandypants 06-01-2013 05:52 AM

I happen to get lucky finding fabric yesterday while out rummaging. I got pieces of very nice quilting fabric. The 1/2 yards for 50 cents and 1 yard for 75 cents. I felt it was my duty to relieve this lady the burden of her having too much fabric. I also found lots of Rick rack, lace and bias tape. I sew a lot of AG doll clothes and can use all of these treasures. A good day for me....yeah