Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Layer Cakes and Charms... use them as is, or re-cut them? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/layer-cakes-charms-use-them-re-cut-them-t191903.html)

kim_s 06-16-2012 08:48 AM

The old me would have trimmed them so they were perfectly perfect! The new me will make it work!

jfowles 06-16-2012 08:56 AM

My son recently went to Hawaii and found a huge charm pack of Hawaiian prints, I measured them yesterday and they fall between 4 1/2 and 5 inches. I have the perfect pattern for then but now am afraid they won't work, we'll see. These were home cut, I always depend of the manufacturers' to be exact.

Lori S 06-16-2012 09:49 AM

I don't typically buy precuts.. but when I do .. I measure them .. and if I need to I re-cut them. I don't do alot of large piece quilts , so at some point I am cutting any way... which is why I don't buy many layer cakes or charms.

elseebee 06-16-2012 11:52 AM

Well, I'm just too trusting it seems. I had a charm pack from a major manufacturer and- so trusting- I just started sewing them together for a table runner pattern. Got to Row 2 and ah,oh, they didn't match up! Had to rip seams and turn some squares so they were all running in the same direction. From now on, no matter how much I trust the name brands, I will measure for "square" before I start piecing. (These charms were approximately 5" x 4.9"- close but just enough to not make a square.)

kathdavis 06-16-2012 01:39 PM

I count on them been accurate and they should be.

PaperPrincess 06-16-2012 02:41 PM

All the patterns I've made with pre cuts required they be recut for the pattern. I recently had an interesting experience. i purchased a Moda charm pack. I then chose a quilt patten and realized that I needed an additional pack, which I puchased from a different vendor. When I got the 2nd pack, I washed them both (swished them in the sink in warm water with a bit of detergent, then used a salad spinner). One pack shrunk, the other didn't. So glad I laundered them first!

MaryStoaks 06-16-2012 02:53 PM

I have bought charm packs from Connecting Threads and they have always been accuratly cut. I mix them with my own cut charms and they are the same. Good price and I get more variety in my scrappy quilts.
That being said, I bought some charms on ebay and they were not consistantly 5" and I couldn't use all of them.
I am a satisfied customer of CT and will buy from them again.

Dodie 06-17-2012 03:07 AM

I do not buy them because I never know where they are cut and any other country does not use inches they have their own measurements so I would guess that is why they are different I never buy smaller than a fat quarter and
I cut my own also have you noticed with the fabric getting smaller or narrower I should say fat quarters are also getting smaller most are now 18 x 20 instead of the 18 x 22

MaryAnnMc 06-17-2012 03:17 AM

I've assumed they were precise, I never even thought to check! But I only buy Moda, as I've read enough complaints about lesser quality precuts. Now I guess I'll have to start measuring.

IraJane 06-17-2012 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by 0tis (Post 5293058)
I use them straight out of the package - usually only purchase moda pre cuts and love them.

I also use them right out of the package and mostly use moda precuts. Love being able to have the fabrics cut and co-ordinated.