Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Leaking Iron? New Rowena Iron issues (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/leaking-iron-new-rowena-iron-issues-t86370.html)

cassiemae 12-31-2010 08:54 AM

I had a Rowenta and it did the same thing. I called the company that it said to use for repair and they had me send it to them in Bellevue Wa. I did and later on they called and said it couldn't be fixed to call the Rowenta co.
I did and explained everything to them . They said they
would replace it with another new one . In the meantime
I bought a cheap BD(works fine) and when the new one came I just put it up on the shelf . In case I get in a bind and need one in a hurry. NO more Rowentas for me.
:thumbdown:

nycquilter 12-31-2010 06:38 PM

my friend says Rowenta irons are like women==they become incontinent with age. Mine leaked virtually from day 1. I replaced it with a cheapie that is still working beautifully after 5 years.

3incollege 12-31-2010 06:51 PM

My very first one leeked after 20 yrs. I got another and so far no problem.

Ladyjanedoe 12-31-2010 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Laura3
I have sent my rowenta back twice and finally have one that doesn't leak. I would return it for a new one. It takes about 2 to 3 weeks, but they will take it back. The one I have now is fine, no leaking, but I will not ever buy another rowenta.

That's interesting because when I contacted Rowenta they wouldn't even entertain the notion of replacing it. It was only a few months old. I guess it depends on who you speak with in customer service. This was a few years ago now so maybe with the numerous complaints, they've decided to step it up.

quilterken 12-31-2010 07:04 PM

My Rowenta went crazy hot and burned a iron sized mark on my quilt before it smelled like burning wires. I then unplugged it and called the dealer that I purchased it from and was told in a nutshell "too bad so sad". Only 14 months old... $200 gone.... never again

Champagnolle 12-31-2010 07:04 PM

I had a Rowena that I paid more for than any other iron I ever had. It leaked almost from day one.

My Sunbeam doesn't leak, but I shouldn't have gotten one with an automatic cut-off. Every time I pick it up to iron, it seems to have turned itself off. I don't use it for quilting.

I have a very small iron I use when I'm piecing quilts. It doesn't steam any more because the dogs knocked it off the board a few years back. I just use it with spray starch.

didi 01-01-2011 04:00 AM

I have two Rowenta irons..One was new and wouldn't heat up enough for cotton. I got online and sent it to a repair shop in Fla. Rowenta replaced it with a new one... About 3 mos. ago my other one (which was about 2 yrs. old) the dial was messing up, so I sent it to the repair shop, got a new sent to me again. I really love these irons, but I self clean my alot, keeping the goop out of it. Might send it to a repair shop. Hope this helps.

PattyH 01-01-2011 04:02 AM

I use my "leaking" Rowenta as a dry iron only now. I think ALL Rowentas leak. At least that's been my experience with about 4 of them now! My cheapie from WalMart works much better and has never leaked a drop!

deema 01-01-2011 04:23 AM

I've had my old betty crocker iron for...5 years or more? It was hardly used until this past August when I started quilting, lol, but it's never given me problems. I am thinking about a new one, only because I'd like a bigger water chamber.

azwendyg 01-01-2011 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by lovequilts
I threw out my last rowena becaues of drips/leaking. i bought a cheap (less than $50.00) Black and Decker Iron and love it.

Same here. The Rowena leaks, the cheap one from WalMart does't. Guess which one I use.