Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lesson learned (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lesson-learned-t227479.html)

nanacc 08-07-2013 08:12 PM

A stunning quilt and a generous act! Maybe someone will 'pay it forward'.

Candiquilts 08-07-2013 09:47 PM

The quilt is stunning! I would have put a starting price for the amount of money you had in it that way you at least know they got the money you put into it. You do a wonder job and thing donating it, so feel good about it and enjoy visiting it!

Peckish 08-07-2013 11:52 PM

I agree, maybe a minimum bid would be a good idea in the future.

Don't let it deter you, however. Not all auctions go that way. I was privileged enough to contribute to a charity auction quilt several months ago. I made a 5" feathered star that was part of a larger quilt. It ended up getting auctioned for close to $8000.

joyce888 08-08-2013 03:21 AM

It's gorgeous! And at least you can deduct the cost of fabric and supplies on your taxes. BTW when I slowly scrolled down to look at the pic I thought it was going to be a Bargello made to look like a hot air balloon - give you any ideas?

skowron5 08-08-2013 04:20 AM

This was not bid for. The person who wanted it saw it before it was even done and said she wanted to purchase it. One thing is she familiar with quilting, she is well known in the community and has money so we thought we would do better than putting in a silent auction. Believe me I never would have not given a starting price is I had known. She also knows me and had an idea how much I had put into it. I guess that is why she has money.

JenelTX 08-08-2013 04:24 AM

It is stunning. The top part looks like a hot air balloon, so patients can sit and contemplate and imagine the lovely balloon is carrying them away from pain and illness. This was a very generous donation. Don't let your beautiful act of kindness be soured by the dollar amount. Enjoy knowing that you helped a cause, and that your quilt will continue to comfort and inspire patients.

qbtexas 08-08-2013 04:49 AM

It's beautiful. One time, I ran the bids on a quilt at a charity event up to $350 (should have been more) just because I knew that the lower bids were not representative of the work that went into the quilt. You did a noble and wonderful thing to donate, and I'm glad the quilt will be hung where it will help the patients.

BellaBoo 08-08-2013 04:52 AM

The old biddy who bought the quilt sure took advantage of the situation and to get the glory of having donated it to be hung, probably with her name in big letters. Sure the quilt was for charity but still it's a slap in the face from someone who showed her true colors.

bjrusty 08-08-2013 04:53 AM

As everyone knows, I love bargellos. Good job, will give people hope. , think of it in that matter. Barb

BellaBoo 08-08-2013 05:16 AM

Forgot to say the quilt is beautiful!