Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Let me cut that up!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/let-me-cut-up-t219563.html)

Luv Quilts and Cats 04-20-2013 03:24 PM

My problem is whenever I am out and I see a great design in the tile on the floor or wall, I'll say "Oh that would make a nice quilt!" My quilt friends understand, but non-quilt friends laugh and roll their eyes! Hey, I'm creative, I look for patterns in all things! Just the way my brain is wired and I am proud of it! I makes me SEE, not just pass by. The universe is infinite in its wonders and always amazes me. Want to look at something really far out sometime? Google Hubble Telescope Photos. You'll really see some amazing sights. Ok this last may not be on topic, but my mind is jumping around today! LOL!

tkee 04-21-2013 03:38 AM

I save outgrown or disliked shirts from my family's thrift store donations. Last week I got out a skirt and shirt I had put in my to-be-cut-up clothes basket. I have lost weight and it fits again. I'm kind of glad I was slow on the cutting. I totally agree with the scrubs - I love novelty fabrics.

solstice3 04-21-2013 04:36 AM

I know where you are coming from and have actually used scrub fabric in a quilt

Noiseynana 04-21-2013 05:04 AM

Why don't you post a "wanted, used scrubs " on your board at work. Just be sure to tell them you just are making quilts. That way you probably won't have to pay for them. Its just an idea.

DOTTYMO 04-21-2013 05:20 AM

I was at hospital with my father and brother. My brother was dressed for work an I told him I'd have his tie for quilting. He wasn't very impressed at all.

cr12cats 04-21-2013 06:44 AM

yes the scrubs are made with good material. if there is a place that makes them by you perhaps they sell the scraps. in Santee California they sold the left over material in there scrub shop they had out front where they made them. they were 10 pound bags for 10 bucks. they were sold in bags of solid or print. They are also mostly already square and lots of strips. it was a lot of fabric. I still have some I am using. I wish we had a shop here or maybe i just haven't found one yet.I also heard if it is sewing for charity they will donate it, but i've never asked so don't no if its is true. just heard that from a women that made quilts for the mexician orphanage over the border. I rest of us were making bags for the kids at the kids home.

jeaninmaine 04-21-2013 07:46 AM

I can't look at a man's shirt without wondering if it's 100% cotton and how would it look in a quilt. My DH is getting really paranoid, he has visions of having to run around in his t-shirt.

Dragonomine 04-21-2013 07:57 AM

What a great idea! My sister has a ton of nurse tops that don't fit anymore

ube quilting 04-21-2013 08:01 AM

I do the very same thing. Everywhere I look there are patterns, colors and combinations to draw from. So much and so little time.
peace

Sideways 04-21-2013 08:09 AM

Yesterday I went to my favorite thrift shop ( where I got my featherweight for 27.00) and got a 5x scrub jacket with pink penguins on it for 1.00, 40% off the ticketed price! That's a lot of pink penguins for a dollar! Lol