Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Let's Talk about Paper Piecing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lets-talk-about-paper-piecing-t304247.html)

rvsfan 04-19-2019 10:47 AM

I hate PP. Enough said.

IrishgalfromNJ 04-19-2019 10:48 AM

I've only done a little bit of paper piecing using free patterns from Carol Doak to make decorative pieces for the house or the door, but I love the precise points you get. The more I do it the easier it gets for me.

cashs_mom 04-19-2019 11:42 AM

I'm the same. It's a love/hate relationship depending on the day and what I'm PPing.

I don't mind the waste. I just have trouble getting my mindset right for the backwards piecing that I feel I"m doing with PP. And sometimes while the precision is excellent, you end up with a lot of bulk in some areas.

petthefabric 04-19-2019 11:55 AM

Sometimes, it's just the best method for the project. However, I don't look to find them and usually avoid PP

busy fingers 04-19-2019 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH (Post 8242294)
I spent yesterday making 3 smallish blocks. This is my take on PP:

It's messy! I had a table full of tiny scraps at the end of the day.
A million little seams!
Great precision!
It's wasteful!
After spending the whole day playing with them I started making mistakes- then
realized I was tired and that was why.So I quit while I was ahead.

I don't know if I like this technique or not.

What say you? :)
Thanks
Susie

Reading your post brings back such memories. I did stick with it and went on to make what is shown in my avatar and it is one of my favourites.

Take a break , re-group and approach with fresh eyes. You may see it differently but do not beat yourself up about it if it is not for you.

QuiltnNan 04-19-2019 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 8242493)
The first time I Paper pieced a block I felt Very discouraged and frustrated- seemed like I wasted a whole fat quarter to end up with one 3” long spike. I vowed to never Paper Piece again. About 4 years later I found Carol Doak. And fell in love with her 50 Paper pieced state stars. Read all her tips, hints and tutorials. Decided to try it again. Learned to not waste hardly any fabric, made those 50 stars and was ( hooked* for the past 15 years it has been one of my very favorite techniques - right behind appliqué.
my Reach for the Stars quilt—

beautifully done

Onebyone 04-19-2019 02:55 PM

I found Carol Doak
Her DVD should be in every quilter's library. Her class was the best instruction class I have ever taken. Once you have the basic pp skills you will have the skill to master all the different methods of pp.

Quiltah Mama 04-19-2019 03:20 PM

I agree with you here, PP is a love it or hate it technique. I happen to be in the love it category. I prefer to PP with batiks and solids, Judy Niemeyer is my favorite, love the sharp points, just discovered the fold method with freezer paper and it's a game changer for me.

Teen 04-19-2019 03:27 PM

I love to PP.....individual blocks or whole quilts....

Krisb 04-19-2019 04:55 PM

Another PP lover here, and another fan of Judy Niemeyer. Just impossible for me to get those precise points. Or the quilts with diagonal or circular flying geese.