Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Let's Talk about Paper Piecing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lets-talk-about-paper-piecing-t304247.html)

fivepaws 04-20-2019 06:08 AM

I adore the precision of PP and any quilt that calls for that definitely goes into my pile of "wannas".

Snooze2978 04-20-2019 06:30 AM

I love paper piecing as it gives you the precision on those hard to make blocks. I wanted to do the Kool Kat pattern which is a kitty body as one block with its tail made from a snail trail block. I wanted the snail trail block to be exact so took it into my EQ8 program and made up a pattern. Took the kitty block also into the program and made my own so I knew everything would match up perfectly. I had 80 kitty blocks and 20 snail trail blocks. Made it very easy for me to get everything to fit perfectly...............and we all know there is no perfect quilt..........:D

carolynjo 04-20-2019 06:52 AM

Here's a sista from another Mistah! I do not like paper piecing,either. I am left-handed and dyslexic, so I avoid paper piecing.

youngduncan 04-20-2019 07:18 AM

For a "normal" quilt, I prefer regular piecing or strip work. When I did my two Harry Potter quilts, I fell in love with paper piecing. The blocks were a lot of fun to do, and I was not limited to any particular fabric or color choice. I was able to free-wheel everything, and the blocks came out as perfectly as I could have hoped they would.

Yes, there are a lot of scraps, but with the HP quilts scraps were basically what I started with. By the time I was finished with the second one, I had reduced my scrap boxes a little. I still have enough scraps to do ten other HP quilts, though. Maybe one day I can start on them.

Use paper-piecing for accuracy or for fun, and do regular piecing as you want. It's a matter of what you prefer versus what you cannot stand.

quilterpurpledog 04-20-2019 09:59 AM

I enjoy PP very much but not alla of the time. I love its accuracy for some things (JN designs). However, I would not use it for some things. You can do Log Cabin with Paper-but why? I have a friend who specializes in PP projects and they are intricate! I admire her work but I don't think I am ever going to compete with her.

ccthomas 04-20-2019 05:06 PM

Interesting. I hadn't associated being left handed and having "issues" with being able to Paper Piece.

Rose_P 04-20-2019 05:30 PM

The last time I did anything FPP was for a guild project where they asked each of us to contribute a couple of little Ohio stars to a fundraiser quilt. That was at least 5 years ago before our move. I have mixed feelings about the process, love the precision, but it's objectionable for all the reasons others have mentioned. It can be nice for some simple blocks, such as a lattice design, where each block only has three easy pieces, but lining them up where the 4 corners meet will be crucial later.

stillvnu 04-20-2019 09:56 PM

I get it! When I first learned this technique I was upset with the fabric waste … but have learned to love it for complicated patterns … love the precision I get!

premid1 04-21-2019 04:22 AM

I have purchased a Judy Niemeyer fractured Star pattern - paper piecing and I am totally lost as to how to paper piece. It appears totally different to the pp I have done many years ago. I'm not sure if I will be able to make it, have all the fabrics, etc. Just keep looking and reading but not getting anywhere. Any suggestions? Thanks

SusieQOH 04-21-2019 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by premid1 (Post 8243172)
I have purchased a Judy Niemeyer fractured Star pattern - paper piecing and I am totally lost as to how to paper piece. It appears totally different to the pp I have done many years ago. I'm not sure if I will be able to make it, have all the fabrics, etc. Just keep looking and reading but not getting anywhere. Any suggestions? Thanks

I wonder if she has any Youtube videos? I checked Bluprint but she isn't there.